Fees required to access our lands.

Crackbolter

After seeing a large number of posts regarding the Fee Demo Program, I would like your help to compile a list of access fees that we all are required to pay to access our public lands.

What I am looking for are different examples of the types of fee programs going on. I am also looking for compounded fees such as Smith Rock State Park parking fees that are required on top of the Forest Service Fee Demo Parking Pass. Please include recreation areas in the Pacific Northwest. This excludes city fees such as Marymoore park.

It would be nice to have everyone collaberate info so we have it available to use as opposition data when writing to our politicians.

Please help!

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few needed to climb in the pnw: (Some of them may have gone to the wayside?)

1. National Forest Trail Park Pass

2. Oregon Sno- park permit

3. WA Sno-Park permit

4.Mt.St. Helens climbing fee

5. Beacon Rock climbing/parking fee (put stub on dash)

6.Enterance fee to Mt.Rainier national park

7. Fee for going onto any glacier in Mt.Rainier NP. (climbing fee)

8.Optional season pass for MT. Rainier climb.

9.Car enterance fee to access upper parts of BakerSki area during summer (checkpoint - A couple of years ago still in use?)

10.Washington State Parks Pass

11. Marymoor Parking Fee

12. UW rock parking Fee

13. Fish and game parking sticker (to climb at Vantage and Tieton)

14. Assorted bivy and or campground fees (various areas)

15. Smith rock parking fee

16. I am sure their are at least five more than are escaping my mind right now.

Edited by Jens

Crackbolter said:

No but you still have to buy the pass for other areas and then pay for Smith on top of that right?

Yes. But for Smith you need ONLY the State Park Pass. Smith is not a part of the Fee Demo Program.

I am not an apologist for fees to recreate on public lands, but I don't mind paying for Smith. A tremendous amount of work goes into maintaining that area and it sees an enormous amount of use.

Also, the Oregon State Parks annual permit is good for certain areas in WA as well. The Oregon Snow Park Permit is good in Washington too. There is a bit of overlap but its all extremely confusing.

thumbs up for both the oregon parks pass and snopark pass, both provide me with visible services I need and I gladly pay them. thumbs down to the expensive outhouses at TH's with no toilet paper but a fancy sign saying "your NW forest pass money at work" madgo_ron.gif

I'm not saying we should buy into these pay to plays but here is a funny thought:

I climbed with a dude about a week ago who told me that in England (where he was from) their are literally hundreds of little semi-informal climbing clubs.

____

I guess if we had hundreds of little clubs here we coud....

Each year, the club could purchase the 16 or so annual passes to all of the above areas mentioned. Passes and permits could be shared by all club members. Cool idea but then I guess that would just be supporting more demo fees.

____

Not to beat this into the ground anymore

but I will be prophet....

By 2008 the permit list will have jumped from 16 to 30!

Don't believe me? pull up this thread in 2008 (if cc still exists).

Gotta pay $3 to climb Rooster rock cuz its in a state park.

How much is an Oregon State parks annual pass and where can I get one? Is it good for ALL Oregon State parks (Smith Rock, Rooster Rock, Hagg Lake, etc) or just a select few. Sounds like maybe a needed addition to my already large collection of annual park passes.

rbw1966 said:

Crackbolter said:

No but you still have to buy the pass for other areas and then pay for Smith on top of that right?

Yes. But for Smith you need ONLY the State Park Pass. Smith is not a part of the Fee Demo Program.

I am not an apologist for fees to recreate on public lands, but I don't mind paying for Smith. A tremendous amount of work goes into maintaining that area and it sees an enormous amount of use.

Also, the Oregon State Parks annual permit is good for certain areas in WA as well. The Oregon Snow Park Permit is good in Washington too. There is a bit of overlap but its all extremely confusing.

Yes, I agree that Smith is spereate but you still need a Fee Demo park pass to access other parts of Oregon. Smith also gets way more attention because of the amount of traffic and the accessability. Also, the facilities are way more luxury. Hot water showers and hike in campsites. I'd say it is regulated quite well. You still have to pay to play though.

rbw1966 said: The Oregon Snow Park Permit is good in Washington too. There is a bit of overlap but its all extremely confusing.

Only if you have an Oregon license plate. If your car is registered out of state, you have to buy both OR & WA snow park permits (which is BS, IMHO)

Jens said:

I'm not saying we should buy into these pay to plays but here is a funny thought:

I climbed with a dude about a week ago who told me that in England (where he was from) their are literally hundreds of little semi-informal climbing clubs.

____

I guess if we had hundreds of little clubs here we coud....

Each year, the club could purchase the 16 or so annual passes to all of the above areas mentioned. Passes and permits could be shared by all club members. Cool idea but then I guess that would just be supporting more demo fees.

____

Not to beat this into the ground anymore

but I will be prophet....

By 2008 the permit list will have jumped from 16 to 30!

Don't believe me? pull up this thread in 2008 (if cc still exists).

in england they also organize mass trespass of outdoor enthusiasts to guarantee public right to freely access countryside - how about organizing one of those for rope up? get a couple hundred people to all park at snow creek th with no parking permit. but no it will never happen cuz big organizations kiss up to deforest service.

Dru, I think you are on to something. A massive demonstration against the program would be helpful. It will help recognize the fact that almost all organizations and citizens really are against the Fee Demo program.

Last time I checked, no one I know of is for the program except logging companies, mining companies, USDA, BLM and the US National Forest.

I would love to organize a national awareness anti fee demo demonstration day!

cluck said:

Gotta pay $3 to climb Rooster rock cuz its in a state park.

Nope--park on the shoulder of I-84

How much is an Oregon State parks annual pass and where can I get one? Is it good for ALL Oregon State parks (Smith Rock, Rooster Rock, Hagg Lake, etc) or just a select few. Sounds like maybe a needed addition to my already large collection of annual park passes.

$25 for one car or $30 if you have two cars and want a sticker for both. Its good at all the state parks I have been to (Smith, Rooster, Timberline) and I didn't get a ticket while parked at the Mt. Stuart trailhead in WA. I know that it is good at certain WA parks as well.

I think the worst fees in Washington State are in the Olympic National Park accessing it from the Olympic National Forest.

1) You need a trail park pass to park at the Olympic National Forest trailhead.

2) You need to pay for an entrance fee into the Olympic National Park.

3) You then need to pay for a nightly fee per person to the Olympic National Park.

Stefan said:

I think the worst fees in Washington State are in the Olympic National Park accessing it from the Olympic National Forest.

1) You need a trail park pass to park at the Olympic National Forest trailhead.

2) You need to pay for an entrance fee into the Olympic National Park.

3) You then need to pay for a nightly fee per person to the Olympic National Park.

Add those to the list!

Hypothetically if one was to visit all WA and OR climbing areas the list is up to 18 different fees? And we are not even looking at B.C. Cascade climbing areas. Can anyone think of more to add to the list? My point is made and I am done spraying.

Jens,

I wouldn't say your post is spray at all. Now talk about how great your lead was on such and such route and I would count it as spray. Thanks for posting the list. I hope to compile a complete list for people to reference when they are writing to Patty of campaining against the Fee Demo.

Thanks. thumbs_up.gif

Crackbolter said:

Also,

Ranier and Olympic are both National parks and count as one fee. Buy the annual pass and you are allowed access to all national parks.

Technically you can buy one pass good for all Federal Fee Areas (the National Park Pass works as a NW Forest Pass) - that doesn't mean it still don't suck.

Add the Special Groomed Trails Permits that XC skiiers have to pay in addition to the SnoPark Permit. madgo_ron.gif

I don't mind paying grooming fees, but I do mind paying 2-3 fees for one stupid afternoon of XC skiing.

My yellow NW pass expired over a year ago, but I keep using it. So far so good, but now they changed them to bright green.

I hate the fees. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

mtngrrrl said:

My yellow NW pass expired over a year ago, but I keep using it. So far so good, but now they changed them to bright green.

scan your yellow pass

use a photoshop coplor fill to change the yellow to green

print

glue green printout onto yellow pass

voila!!!

fruit.gif

Dru said:

scan your yellow pass

use a photoshop coplor fill to change the yellow to green

print

glue green printout onto yellow pass

voila!!!

fruit.gif

Yeah, but it's also a new design. They probably wouldn't notice since they don't seem to notice the out of date yellow one. Heck, we could probably all cut out bright green rectangles with "FEES SUCK!" written on them in black marker and hang them in our cars. Hmmm, maybe I'll try that. evils3d.gif