Best indoor gym

dyno_merchant

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, unfortunately Redmond is lacking in routesetters... They are allways looking for folks willing to comit to setting, (and stripping old) one route a week for a free membership.

Luckily weve got a crew of about 12-15 setters in Seattle, so things ussually get changed out and washed after a few months.

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:
Yeah, unfortunately Redmond is lacking in routesetters... They are allways looking for folks willing to comit to setting, (and stripping old) one route a week for a free membership.

Luckily weve got a crew of about 12-15 setters in Seattle, so things ussually get changed out and washed after a few months.

Maybe someone should pass the word to clean the holds at least confused.gif" border="0

VW in Seattle (haven't been to the one in Redmond) for leading and longer climbs. Stone Gardens is very bouldering-oriented, which I am not. VW crowd seems more experienced in trad/alpine climbing and so a good place to hook up with folks wanting to do the same stuff I do.

BTW, SG was remodelled recently and now does have textured walls, though I don't know how good they are as I haven't climbed there since the change.

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:
The dirty greasy holds are mostly found in the Redmond VWorld from my expereience they never move things around for long periods of time. I saw some routes 8 months old.

I work at Vertical Relief Climbing Center in Flagstaff and we know how hard it is to clean holds and change routes but we try to make a big effort to do so. Our routes are never up for more than 3 to 3 1/2 months but we only have up to 50 routes and about 60 boulder problems (we clean holds before they go on a new route so our holds stay pretty clean also). how long do you think routes should stay up?

another Q...which gyms have the best routesetting and routesetters? why?

quote:

Originally posted by sayjay:
BTW, SG was remodelled recently and now
does
have textured walls, though I don't know how good they are as I haven't climbed there since the change.

Yes, textured paint, but still no features. It is an improvement though.

We've been trying to set lots 'o fun boulder problems at VW lately. I've put up 12 in the past couple of weeks. Redmond had a bouldering comp on Saturday so there are lots of new, high quality problems. smile.gif" border="0

I dont really get into the routesetting much at the gyms. Although all of them seem to have one or two routes with completely contrived starts for example.

I prefer to climb for real and only use gyms for workout when it is raining.. Most of the time I can get to rock or ice... So if you are asking gym rat questions I cannot answer.

quote:

Originally posted by dyno merchant:
I work at Vertical Relief Climbing Center in Flagstaff and we know how hard it is to clean holds and change routes but we try to make a big effort to do so. Our routes are never up for more than 3 to 3 1/2 months but we only have up to 50 routes and about 60 boulder problems (we clean holds before they go on a new route so our holds stay pretty clean also). how long do you think routes should stay up?

I think routes should stay up for 3 months or so, depending on the quality of the route. People sometimes get upset if you take down a route while they are still trying to get it.

I haven't really been to many other gyms in the area so I can't speak for them. The Seattle VW has quite a few very experienced routesetters. Some of whom are certified to set for national competitions and get paid for it. We try to set lots of fun routes for everybody, 60% of which are 10b and under. There are over 250 leads , top-ropes and boulder problems.

As for caveman's comment- I think setting routes can be really fun. Especially when its raining and the rock is wet! grin.gif" border="0

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

about texture...

is it so important to have texture? maybe the routesetters aren't adding enough holds to their routes to give you foot options and intermediates thus making you wish you had features to use. although features can make the walls look cooler and give you more options, my opinion is that it would be better to have more creative setting with more holds and eliminate the confusion of all the features that (if used) can mess up the specific moves the route setter intended you to make.

also... the more features a gym has the more limited the setting can be. routes can start to have the same "feel." the features will always be the same...boring.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: dyno merchant ]

i'll give my props to the VW in seattle. solid routes and a nice bouldering cave.

i like SG for the bouldering and funky appeal (at least the old one... haven't been since the remodel). the crack in the bouldering area is fun for runing laps up and down in your tennies to completely waste yourself before heading out the door. i think it confuses the nearby mutants pulling V8

[big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by dyno merchant:

if you dont change and clean the holds then what would paying for a gym be worth???? isnt that your job to clean and set routes???? i imagine teaching someone to belay is another responsibility, but seriously what is the job of a gym worker???

you gym climbers confuse me......

The scene in Stoned Gardens is way lame. Everyone who works there is 20-year-old harcore boulderer with mad attitude. And I've been yelled at for climbing too high without a rope when I'm only like ten-feet off the friggin ground! VW is better. Nicer folks and more diverse crowd, except for that tool Lambone.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

if you dont change and clean the holds then what would paying for a gym be worth???? isnt that your job to clean and set routes???? i imagine teaching someone to belay is another responsibility, but seriously what is the job of a gym worker???

routesetting is only one part to making customers happy. you could have the best routes in the world but attract zero climbers if the people working there are assholes and don't know anything about climbing. "gym workers" are supposed to give the full experience. including...routesetting, beta and all around fun and supportive atmosphere.

not to mention that climbing gyms could survive even if climbers never went into them. families and kids can easily make up for our cheap asses and they rarely need new routes. But who wants to run a gym like a day care, that would suck.

quote:

is it so important to have texture? maybe the routesetters aren't adding enough holds to their routes to give you foot options and intermediates thus making you wish you had features to use. although features can make the

walls look cooler and give you more options, my opinion is that it would be better to have more creative setting with more holds and eliminate the confusion of all the features that (if used) can mess up the specific moves the route setter intended you to make.

I completely disagree. Features (at least the ones at Seattle VW) make the climbs much more like real outdoor rock. Smearing skills, even if you are exclusively a trad climber, are important and its great to get used to what your feet will stick to. Small holds just arent' the same.

I have yet to find a gym that mimmics real outdoor rock well. However the exercising of the muscles helps I suppose. I dont think texture makes much of a difference for me. But whatever everyone has their outlook on things. I prefer to wear my tennies in the gym therefore foot skills get even better wink.gif" border="0 and shoes last longer..