Cave Route on Concord

ryland_moore

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

erik said:

starts down from the notch in a weird looking lay back flake thingy...

with some faces moves.....there is a small bush and some steep shite..

wait wait wait..i think i am spraying beta for the n face route!?!

!

I believe eric is right on for the cave rte, it starts down from the notch about 20 feet in which beckey describes (wrong) the N. face rte is to start. The N. face rte starts right at the notch, the cave rte starts down and across a weird ledge and now past a dead looking bush.

When I did the North Face I had a hard time deciding if I was on route or not on the second pitch. We got up the thing, but it seemed harder than 5.6. I went past a lot of grooves and flaring rotten cracks using the occasional flake for protection. The route went straight up and then curved to the left, did an almost level traverse and then angled up again.

There is a nice way up at 5.8 from the left side of the ledge you reach on the first pitch. It is harder but (I am told) protects more easily. There is very little loose rock anywhere on the route.

CBS, I agree with you about the N. Face seeming harder than 5.6, especially the second pitch which has no clear line to follow, just an odd bulge here and there. I ended up wishing that my partner and I had taken the Cave Route, which looked a little harder on the first pitch but supposedly is not too bad after that. The start looked obvious to me: traverse the ledge system westward, staying level as the gully drops away, for about 40 feet, then proceed upward, with the crux being a blind reach to gain the upper part of this same ledge system.

the beckey description/topo are right on for caveroute imho

on first pitch traverse right and like leejams says, "across a weird ledge and now past a dead looking bush"....then head up to obvious wide crack via 5.7+/8 moves...traverse right to "live bush"...follow ramp system to the left and then up (5.7ish thru some flakes) to cave....then go thru to easy 5.2 crack to scramble finish... or finish per steep 5.6 nface route (very cool).

3 raps with single 60m rope back to tennies.... bigdrink.gif

catbirdseat said:

When I did the North Face I had a hard time deciding if I was on route or not on the second pitch. We got up the thing, but it seemed harder than 5.6. I went past a lot of grooves and flaring rotten cracks using the occasional flake for protection. The route went straight up and then curved to the left, did an almost level traverse and then angled up again.

Try going left then up in a nice arc, past piton and bolt and then the rap slings on the block. 5.6