Who Killed California?

allthumbs

So far there are 123 people on the recall ballot. There will be more. Quite a lot to choose from.

We all know California is full of nuts, fruits, and flakes and we know all the other glib references to the folks in California.

I think it behooves us to try to understand what has happened to the Golden State and wonder if it will happen elsewhere.

According to Pat Buchanan the federal government has had a lot to do with it and as I read it, those same policies that caused the California debacle can and probably will cause the same budgetary problems in other states.

click for story

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see: California got F*#ked by Enron, by deliberately manipulating the energy market and lying about it, draining something like $8 billion from the state. Bush's response: "drop dead."

Californians have been busily passing initiatives limiting the ability of the state government to function (starting with Prop 13) and now it's the governor's fault that things aren't as good as they used to be.

Yeah, sounds like the feds' fault to me.

'course, Pat Buchannan ("Hitler wasn't such a bad guy, no really! It was the Jews!") is probably the political comentator I'd most trust to give an accurate evaluation of a political situation.

trask said:

Ok... Now it's become a zoo... Larry Flint, publisher of Hustler, has paid the $3500 and gathered 65 signatures, and is running for Govenor of California....

He's apparently a good business man. thumbs_up.gif Do we really need to know where the money came from or how he exploits women? He will fit right in with all the other politicians in California. yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

Prop 13 is one of the problems, but the state gov't can still raise property taxes 2%/year. It was passed because the state was getting out of control in levying property taxes back in the 70s. Yeah it has put their public education system in the toilet, but the real problem was the power crisis a few years ago.

The Gov and other politicians were paranoid that if the state could not promise reliable power and eliminate the brown outs that silicon valley, food processing and other industries would simply walk out of the state. Then they got fked by Enron and a few other companies.

Alpine_Tom said:

Let's see: California got F*#ked by Enron, by deliberately manipulating the energy market and lying about it, draining something like $8 billion from the state. Bush's response: "drop dead."

When Enron was doing its thing, our Gov, Greyout Doofus sat on his thumbs and did nothing but negotiate long term contracts with energy companies at spot market prices. Excuse me, when he wasn't negotiating those contracts, Doofus was out raising tons of money to get re-elected and to hell with everything else. I know hard core democrats who say he is incompetant, but voted for him because of the other option. The dot com businesses going belly up didn't help things either. I do not know who I am going to vote for in the recall but I never have voted for Mr. Personality.

Later, I've got a long drive to Portland ahead of me. wave.gif