Finding God at Mt Rainier NP

Thinker

from the NPS morning report 7/24/03:

Mount Rainier National Park (WA)

Rangers Take Disturbed Man into Custody

On the morning of July 14th, park staff reported that a lone hiker who had been staying at the Mystic Lake backcountry camp had been acting strange and stealing food and miscellaneous items from other backpackers. He was also observed talking to the trees and to God. Protection rangers searched for him the next day and found him in the White River campground. When contacted, the 27-year-old man, who was found to have a history of mental illness, ignored commands and instructions from a ranger and continued hiking. When confronted, he received counsel from God, tried to walk through/over the ranger, and tried to flee. He was taken into custody for psychological evaluation.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorta related to the topic...Did anyone read the article in the back of the latest Climbing Epics issue?

Guy from BC wrote a story about how he neglected his family and other stuff to climb because it made him feel...but then realized he needed to find God and could focus on what is in his life, not what he could get through climbing...

I must have missed something in the story or he left out some details because it just didn't make sense that you could all of a sudden have an epiphany and not need to climb and all your porblems wouldbe solved. He sort of made a subtle statement climbing/climbers are shallow if they are passionate about it. Maybe I am just in the dark though.

Thinker said:

from the NPS morning report 7/24/03:

Mount Rainier National Park (WA)

Rangers Take Disturbed Man into Custody

On the morning of July 14th, park staff reported that a lone hiker who had been staying at the Mystic Lake backcountry camp had been acting strange and stealing food and miscellaneous items from other backpackers. He was also observed talking to the trees and to God. Protection rangers searched for him the next day and found him in the White River campground. When contacted, the 27-year-old man, who was found to have a history of mental illness, ignored commands and instructions from a ranger and continued hiking. When confronted, he received counsel from God, tried to walk through/over the ranger, and tried to flee. He was taken into custody for psychological evaluation.

just another trad climber... hahaha.gif

I read that. It sounded like he was way out of balance. Now he climbs much less frequently, with his kids and what not. I didn't think it was a knock on climbers, but maybe a call to people who shun other responsibilities. Party like a rock star, OR have a family, but not both?

ehmmic said:

Dru said:

218431-COE.gif

sweet!

Where can I get one of these?!?

It's on my original post as an attachment (because I can't figure out how to make it appear in the body of the message--Dru, how the hell do you do this?). Or you can go to this website and download a copy for yourself there:

http://www.freeourforests.org/COE.html

I'm sure it's one of those smart-ass things that will certainly garner you a ticket from a forest officer, but at least you'll be able to let the bastard know how just how you feel about the fee "demonstration" program. I've popped this bad-boy on my dashboard on a couple of occasions and not received the expected ticket, but this may be due to luck.

I've also heard that participation in the program (i.e., paying the resulting ticket) is "voluntary". Does anyone have first-hand experience with the consequences of not paying the ticket? Do the NFS have the ability to levy a citation against your driver's license? What if your rental car is cited?