Hydration Systems/Packs Info Please?

TimL

I'm looking into buying either a small hydration pack or a hydration system. I've seen Nalgine and Camelbak stuff before but what would you guys reccomend? Are there any other companies? What features do you like and dislike about the different packs/systems. Any information is good information. Thanks.

Tim

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get one that has the standard nalgene lid, which I think the CamelBaks do, because they screw into MSR pumps if that's your thing. There are some that fold at the top which is nice for cleaning but I think would be prone to leaking. I like the CamelBak bite valve, it doesn't leak at all unless your roommates cat decides to chew on it, but they could have changed the design of them since I got mine.

Look around on the internet, especially some of the bike sites, they always have them cheap. Send me a PM if you want a list to look at.

Also unless you really like cleaning stuff never put sports drink in it.

the MSR drom-lite (purple) bags are good w/ the bite valve kit. Well-made and fill easily in lakes and streams and stuff. I found the platy things with the narrow opening difficult to dip in lakes and fill easily. Pain in the ass to put drink mixes in those things too, but I have one (came with my pack) and use one as well.

I only have experience with the camelback I was given a number of years ago. It has a 100oz bladder, which seems like a lot of water, but I'm always surprised when it goes dry. Two of us drained in on Triumph, and I'll drink the whole thing on a day long approach as well. The pack it came with has these floppy little straps that are kind of a bugger to put on and off if you're carrying it as a pack on a long rock route and swap it back and forth at belays, but it can be alright if you just leave it on all the time. Often as not I stuff the bladder into my larger pack in some makeshift fashion and make do.

A couple pluses and minuses about the system:

Its just not as satisfying, for me, to suck on a tube rather than gulp out of quart bottle. On the otherhand, I definitely drink more water with a bladder, which on the whole is a good thing for both comfort and performance. Its really gross when the tube fills with green algae, mostly because you can see it. Also, when out using the lifts at a ski area, my day lasts much longer if I'm sipping water on the chair, because I just don't stop to eat or drink otherwise. Its a drag when your tube freezes up.

As far as specifics about current hydration packs, I'm sure others will supply you with more precise beta.

Columbia makes one too... I had a camel-back bladder that lasted for four years... I have both the camel-back, and a Columbia now... I fill the plain bladder with water and insert it into my pack, and fill the other with beer, they make great back-country beer bongs... attach bladder to tree or rock, open top, run hose below bladder and drink dry...

TimL said:

Has anyone bought hydration packs? If so which ones? What features are better than others? If so do they work well for other sports? thanks.

i already tolt you what to do. just buy the fucking platypus water sack and shove it in yur clibing pack.

Dan_Harris said:

I use the Platypus bag. The opening is too small for most filters, but I just take the bite valve off and stick the tube from the bladder onto the discharge side of my filter. I do not even need to take the bladder out of my pack.

get the one with the ziplock top.

lummox said:

Dan_Harris said:

I use the Platypus bag. The opening is too small for most filters, but I just take the bite valve off and stick the tube from the bladder onto the discharge side of my filter. I do not even need to take the bladder out of my pack.

get the one with the ziplock top.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I stopped using a bladder for winter climbs for a few years till when chance came i stubbled across a insulator for the hose. Myself and friends have weather -40 F with these things never having a problem. The insulator is a neoprene slip on cover that makes all the difference in the world!

jon said:

Get one that has the standard nalgene lid, which I think the CamelBaks do, because they screw into MSR pumps if that's your thing. There are some that fold at the top which is nice for cleaning but I think would be prone to leaking. I like the CamelBak bite valve, it doesn't leak at all unless your roommates cat decides to chew on it, but they could have changed the design of them since I got mine.

Look around on the internet, especially some of the bike sites, they always have them cheap. Send me a PM if you want a list to look at.

Also unless you really like cleaning stuff never put sports drink in it.

Just buy mine. $10 with Platypus pack. PM me.

I have one of the no frills Camel Back hydration systems, I think its the classic model. Its cheap, holds 70oz. Has a bungy cord thingy for a jacket, and attaching approach shoes and a small pocket for energy bars, ect. I do not use it much, but I have got some use out of it in Yosemite and Squamish on long free routes where you do not want to carry a full fledged pack and want to go light. You can always take the bladder out and use it in another pack.

I've owned bladders by Platypus, Camelbak, and Hydrapack, and packs by Camelbak and Hydrapak.

My experiences: I loved the Platypus bladders...hiked the AT with them, they're super light and virtually indestructible....then one of mine sprung a leak on the NF of Hood...no more f#*&% Platypus for me (in truth it was an old bladder I should have retired long ago). Bottom line...they're good stuff, but get one of the zip-top bladders (easier to fill,clean, add mixes or ice to) and replace the mouthpiece with a higher flow model and a on/off stopcock valve.

I don't care for the Camelbak bladders either, they seem too flimsy and likely to puncture, but Camelbak makes well thought out packs and the openings are wide. I had a Mule pack, and have an unbottle that I use fairly often.

What I'm using lately (mainly mountain biking) is a $20 pack and bladder from Hydrapak (the "Overflow" model on clearance at pricepoint.com) which is a pack similar in size to the Mule and a bladder with a drybag type closure. It's very easy to clean etc. I was sketpical about the closure system, but even after some over-the-bars crashes on the bike where I landed flat on the pack/bladder it hasn't leaked a drop. The bite valve on these are unique in that they have a built-in on/off in the mouthpiece that you bite and twist a quarter turn. For $20, this is a hell of a deal.

My ideal set-up would be a platypus zip-top bladder with a double-flow platypus mouthpiece, with a camelbak in-line on/off valve, placed in a camelbak pack.

A few comments:

Any hydration system should fit easily and cleanly to a water filter. Try attaching the tube from the bag directly to the out port of the filter. It's by far the easiest way to get the agua in.

32 oz is a little small. If you go with the 70, you might drink more water. If it seems a little too big, you can always fill it only partway full....but you probably won't.

I also like the BigZip Platypus bags for their ease of cleaning, but have learned the hard way that you're better off never opening them in the backcountry because they are a pain to get closed again. The bite valve on this unit is prone to leaking, so be careful not to set anything on top of it. Even so, I like both of the ones I have.

I have a Platypus Roadrunner that I have when all I want to carry is the water bladder and maybe a sammich. It's a nice little piece, and I use it way more than I thought I would.

Once you use one of these things, you will wonder how you ever lived without one. At least that's what I found. thumbs_up.gif

the most valuable attribute one can find in a 'hydration' pack is that it can swallow a twelve pack without any hassle. The half rack serves as frame in the golite, and....

the regular msr dromedary bags are the most bombproof.