Mt. Adams Climb

Howard

I know that it's non-technical but I'm a newbie and planning to climb Adams this weekend (7/26) via the South Side route.

I did it the 1st weekend of June but there was so much snow, the Cold Springs campground was snowed-in and we had to hike the extra 3 miles.

I'm just curious to know if anyone has an idea re: the conditions up there this weekend. Much snow? Scree? There is water up at the Lunch Counter, isn't there?

Also, I don't have a gps and found it a little tricky getting back to the car last time. I would guess that it will be easier to spot the trail without as much snow. Correct?

Any advice/information on this route would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Howard

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done this route in a few years, so I have no specific beta for you ... but don't sweat the route finding, on a summer weekend they'll be tons-o people. And if you're not bringing skis, the best thing on that slog is the glissade down from the false summit. By this time of the season it's probably a 4 ft deep bobsled-worthy groove. Have fun.

I was up there 7/13-7/14 (see my TR). The route is in good shape, the approach trail is easily followed, but you will likely have to melt snow at the Lunch Counter (I didn't stay there overnight nor did I look very hard when I passed by). After gaining the false summit, a switch-backed scree trail can be seen approaching the true summit on the left side--take this instead of the boot track in the snow as it is much easier (it looks like loose scree from a distance but when you get there you will realize it's pretty firm and provides for easy hiking).

Follow the advice of another poster and come prepared for the glissade down the false summit (gore-tex or trash bag)--absolutely fabulous! The trenches are getting pretty deep, so have fun!

If you're running with the pack, the descent should be no problem. Otherwise, the trick on the descent is to take the first gulley on the right below the Lunch Counter; after that gulley, you'll descend a very steep but short snowfield before finding the first post marking the trail and you're home free. If you are ascending this portion of the route in daylight, you'll have no problems on the descent. Might be another story if you're doing a one-day sprint to the summit and back, though.

Make sure you have some victory beers in your car at Cold Springs! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

If you are bent on camping at the lunch counter, you might find it easier to fill a water bottle if you bring a 3' length of rubber hose. Very often I find trickles of water that are not deep enough to dip a bottle or pot into, but easily feed a small hose. Consider that you will be drinking from an open sewer, though.

I believe the Forest Service discourages camping at the Lunch Counter because of the lingering problem with turds and food scraps and etc. Once the snow is gone, the place is a mess and if it is at all windy, there is no relief from the onslaught and sitting around cooking can be rather unpleasant. There is nice camping down at timberline and the climb is an easy day trip from there (its an easy day trip from the car, for that matter).

Perhaps the USFS should use the climbing permit fees they have extorted from us to build a privy near lunch counter? Otherwise, they should ban/severely curtail camping in this area. (I support this action based on environmental/health considerations. Not the subjective "solitude" provisions on the WA1964.) You're right Mattp. It is a disgusting place.

was there 2 weekends ago. The lunch counter is pretty melted out, and I didn't really see any signs of human waste. There was a stream of meltwater in the afternoons, but fill up before it freezes again.

Went Thursday, and there was only a (relative) handful of other people there. Came back down on Friday, and it was a constant stream of people heading up. Much nicer if you can avoid the crowds.

Camp lower near Crescent Glacier is space if available. Several large wind breaks, not as far up to haul your tent, better views of Adam's famous sunsets. And.... regardless of where you camp, get blue bags from the Ranger Station and use them. No one likes camping around wild human shit on the loose.

cluck said:

Camp lower near Crescent Glacier is space if available. Several large wind breaks, not as far up to haul your tent, better views of Adam's famous sunsets.

Amen. I agree one-hundred percent. Its a waste of time to drag all of your gear all that way when there are bomber sites, with great views, and now probably running water, a bit lower.