New Truck

Skisports

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you located skisports? You can check out the design in my truck if interested. It's got locable storage and a bed that sleeps two (comfortably if both are under 6'), with lots of storage underneath and a countertop. Depending on your engine size you could modify the design so that the storage under the bed is in more of a box with lockable doors. My truck is only a 4 cyl, so the design had to be lightweight. Mostly 1x1 or 2x1 with metal bracing for strength for the framing and 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for the flat surfaces.

It's the 4th generation design of some friends of mine. One of the keys to being comfortable is to have the tallest canopy you can afford. We built it out in 2 days and about $250 in materials (you can get cheaper foam which was the largest part of my buildout cost).

Edited by ehmmic

ehmmic said:

...and 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for the flat surfaces.

Sounds like my truck in its heyday, but instead of Plywood, we went up to Boeing surplus and got a couple sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" honeycomb core aluminum sheeting (same stuff they use in aircraft flooring), SUPER strong stuff thats lighter than plywood and really rigid.

Good Luck!

Have you ever seen a "Wildernest"? I think they are out of business now, but someone might be making similar designs. They look like a standard pickup camper shell, but the top flips over the front (or to the side) of the truck and has a built in tent. The ceiling of the camper shell becomes the sleeping surface. They are awesome. The only one I ever saw in person belonged to a Jackson Hole Mountain Guide I met at City of Rocks. He had the bottom all decked out with lockable gear storage and cooking area etc.

I tried to find a link, but was unsuccessful.

ehmmic said:

Where are you located skisports? You can check out the design in my truck if interested. It's got locable storage and a bed that sleeps two (comfortably if both are under 6'), with lots of storage underneath and a countertop. Depending on your engine size you could modify the design so that the storage under the bed is in more of a box with lockable doors. My truck is only a 4 cyl, so the design had to be lightweight. Mostly 1x1 or 2x1 with metal bracing for strength for the framing and 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for the flat surfaces.

It's the 4th generation design of some friends of mine. One of the keys to being comfortable is to have the tallest canopy you can afford. We built it out in 2 days and about $250 in materials (you can get cheaper foam which was the largest part of my buildout cost).

I live in fremont the engine size wont be that big of a problem 4.0l V6

Skisports said:

UH DUDE, IT IS A FORD!

tongue.gifhahaha.gif

snaf.gif

wave.gif

erik said:

Skisports said:

UH DUDE, IT IS A FORD!

tongue.gifhahaha.gif

Hahaha hahaha.gif

I must say, I was actually pretty surprised. For a

F ix

Or

Repair

Daily

the thing is pretty sweet. It has the best shifter I've ever seen in a truck. normally trucks have loose, inprecise shifters, but this thing feels as close to a car as I've seen before. I guess the real test is after a few years.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Skisports said:

I just got a new ford ranger

Me too! wave.gif

On my last truck, I had a platform in the back that was just high enough to fit gear or the flat rubbermaids underneath. I had a few planks going across the bed at that height for support and then cut out plywood to fit in perfectly, around the wheel wells and such. That way I could hide all the expensive stuff underneath and there was plenty of room up above to sleep, etc... It rockband.gifed!

if you get a topper it is hard to keep it secure. my buddy replaced the turn handles with flat locks to keep people from yarding on then. also he replaced the handle on the truck with a flat locking piece. also make sure the side windows lock up tight.