Sandbag scale, Index to Red Rocks?

Alpinfox

I thought of this question while reading another thread about an "Indexish" 5.9 at Squamish. I'd be interested in hearing where various climbing areas fall on the sandbag scale.

Here is my pathetic attempt to start a scale, most sandbags to least. Please edit/adjust/comment

Index, WA

Squamish, BC

Leavenworth, WA

Smith Rock, OR

Exit32/38, WA

Red Rocks, NV

Obviously this is going to be difficult because of sport vs. trad, new climbs vs. old, etc... but let's see what happens.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sobo said:

Ever been to Seneca Rocks, West Virginia? wave.gif

One of my partners climbed there a bunch before moving out here and has told me some stories about some very taxing "5.9" climbs there.

A strict linear order is probably unattainable, so how about rough groupings:

Stiff:

Seneca, WV

Index, WA

Joshua Tree, CA

Squamish, BC

About right:

Leavenworth, WA

Smith Rock, OR

Soft:

Vantage, WA

Exit32/38, WA

Red Rocks, NV

Here's the scale as I see it (from full-value sandbag to grades so easy you think you're climbing in a reduced gravitational field):

Yosemite

Joshua Tree

Leavenworth (old school, as in Castle Rock/Midnight)

Index

Squamish

Smith

Leavenworth (any slab bolted since 1985)

Ronald McDonald Play Land

My favorite bar stool

Exit 32/ 38/ anything along I-90

Alpinfox said:

sobo said:

Ever been to Seneca Rocks, West Virginia? wave.gif

One of my partners climbed there a bunch before moving out here and has told me some stories about some very taxing "5.9" climbs there.

A strict linear order is probably unattainable, so how about rough groupings:

Stiff:

Seneca, WV

Index, WA

Joshua Tree, CA

Squamish, BC

About right:

Leavenworth, WA

Smith Rock, OR

Soft:

Vantage, WA

Exit32/38, WA

Red Rocks, NV

you trad geeks flippin' kill me...why don't you try some of the harder routes up at 32 and then come tell me about how ez they were for the grade... yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

oh, squamish --> soft in general...

RuMR said:

you trad geeks flippin' kill me...why don't you try some of the harder routes up at 32 and then come tell me about how ez they were for the grade... yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

oh, squamish --> soft in general...

I went out to Exit 32 and and flashed something about five letter grades above my limit. I spent the rest of the day climbing at or a couple of grades above my limit and flashed everything I tried. At Smith one year I climbed my hardest route of the season with a bowline instead of a harness. Let's face it: these areas are soft.

i'm not sayin' they're not soft in the low grades...they are a complete joke...but that is not what WW1/2 is known for...

But why don't you come up and try some of the really stiff routes at ww1...and then we can discuss the "appropriateness" of the ratings...

Oh...and that smiff route musta been a real toughy?! What was the route please??? rolleyes.gifhahaha.gif

Shit like rainy day and crap like that doesn't count...that wall/rating doesn't begin to get right until 12+/.13- ratings...

Edited by RuMR

I'd put Veduawoo WY and the South Platte in CO on the stiff list. Eldorado Canyon too. Pretty much every area where most of the routes were put up when 5.9-5.10 were the highest grades is going to be fairly stiff, if no one has upped the grades over time.

RuMR said:

i'm not sayin' they're not soft in the low grades...they are a complete joke...but that is not what WW1/2 is known for...

But why don't you come up and try some of the really stiff routes at ww1...and then we can discuss the "appropriateness" of the ratings...

Oh...and that smiff route musta been a real toughy?! What was the route please??? rolleyes.gifhahaha.gif

Shit like rainy day and crap like that doesn't count...that wall/rating doesn't begin to get right until .13- ratings...

I can't remember the names. It was 5.11d....no, not really. It was advertised 5.11d. It sure seemed easier but what do I know.

I'm sure the 5.13's at Exit 32 are difficult. Since I can't flash those grades, I generally avoid them, and I wouldn't be able to compare them to 5.13's at another venue. How do you sport-monkeys measure the difficulty of a particular 5.13? How many weeks it takes to aid....oops, I mean, "work" the moves?

JayB said:

I'd put Veduawoo WY and the South Platte in CO on the stiff list. Eldorado Canyon too. Pretty much every area where most of the routes were put up when 5.9-5.10 were the highest grades is going to be fairly stiff, if no one has upped the grades over time.

Dude, that image thing...which character are you?

pope said:

RuMR said:

Shit like rainy day and crap like that doesn't count...that wall/rating doesn't begin to get right until .13- ratings...

How do you sport-monkeys measure the difficulty of a particular 5.13? How many weeks it takes to aid....oops, I mean, "work" the moves?

Ok...the burdo grades are off easily by a factor of 2 -3 letter grades...but that's brian...and he wrote the guide book and pumped his own routes...

hahahaha...there's ez aid and there's bitch hard aid right? How's bout maybe when you're "working" or aiding or pussifying (or whatever term you choose to use for getting through) the move your tendon blows????? Maybe you lose 4 months to a year of hard climbing (or aiding in your world rolleyes.gif)...would that be consider hard or just a little tough?

And often times working these routes is on lead on the "wussy" bolt (because the pitch is too long for topropes, etc., sorry dwayner) , even though you facing 35 to 40 foot whips each time you try a wrong "aid" move...granted, its on bolts, its overhanging, etc. etc. etc. but its easy to just rip an effort from the couch...

you guys crack me up...shit, whoohoo walk some stupid .11 and then slander the place and duck the ball by saying "ahh gee, i'm not going to work/aid/lower myself to try some of the really stellar climbing there, cuz its just too hard"... rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.giffucking a kill me...

fruit.gif

Edited by RuMR

ahh this is a pointless debate, i'm going to bed... rolleyes.gif

if you want to come up and check/aid/climb some REALLY COOL SHIT THAT'S SUPER fun w/ big falls and clean air, i'll be stoked to show you irregardless of what you and i might think the rating really is!!!

goodnight pope wave.gif

OK, potty mouth, I guess we're talking apples and oranges. I climb a 5.11d (which at the time should have been over my limit) on-sight with a bowline on my ass and you're not impressed. Fine. You're invited to emulate.

I'm not saying that, from a sport-monkey's perspective, the climbing along I-90 is poor, and I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishments (I just don't understand all of the effort for 90 feet of rock). I'm simply saying that I've been pleasantly surprised by how well I climbed the advertised grades at the few sport cliffs I've visited (and Ronald McDonald Play Land). wazzup.gif

pope said:

OK, potty mouth, I guess we're talking apples and oranges. I climb a 5.11d (which at the time should have been over my limit) on-sight with a bowline on my ass and you're not impressed. Fine. You're invited to emulate.

I'm not saying that, from a sport-monkey's perspective, the climbing along I-90 is poor, and I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishments (I just don't understand all of the effort for 90 feet of rock). I'm simply saying that I've been pleasantly surprised by how well I climbed the advertised grades at the few sport cliffs I've visited (and Ronald McDonald Play Land). wazzup.gif

sorry i offended your tender ears, it was in response to the term "sport monkey", somewhat insulting...as you said, most likely not .11d...Try to hear what i was saying...the place was made for steeper hard climbing (i know hard is relative)...ratings under mid 12 are a joke there...no one's arguing that...

And it is Ronald McDonald Play land...You ever have any fun as a kid????? That's what its for...

Just editing...guess i flung first insult w/ "trad geek"...my bad...

Edited by RuMR

Update:

Stiff:

Yosemite, CA

Seneca, WV

Veduawoo, WY

Eldorado Canyon, CO

South Platte, CO

Index, WA

Joshua Tree, CA

Leavenworth, WA (old stuff)

About right:

Leavenworth, WA (New Stuff)

Smith Rock, OR

Squamish, BC

Exit 32, WA (Little Si)

Soft:

Vantage, WA

Exit 38, WA

Red Rocks, NV

Where do Darrington, Skaha, Tieton go? How about Rifle, CO or Red River Gorge, KY? I've heard that old school east coast stuff (Rumney, Cathedral Ledge) is pretty stiff. Any opinions?

Alpinfox said:

Update:

Stiff:

Yosemite, CA

Seneca, WV

Veduawoo, WY

Eldorado Canyon, CO

South Platte, CO

Index, WA

Joshua Tree, CA

Leavenworth, WA (old stuff)

About right:

Leavenworth, WA (New Stuff)

Smith Rock, OR

Squamish, BC

Exit 32, WA (Little Si)

Soft:

Vantage, WA

Exit 38, WA

Red Rocks, NV

Where do Darrington, Skaha, Tieton go? How about Rifle, CO or Red River Gorge, KY? I've heard that old school east coast stuff (Rumney, Cathedral Ledge) is pretty stiff. Any opinions?

Fox - One thing came to mind when reviewing your list. How can the number of stiff areas be twice the number of "about right" areas? What is also odd is that the areas in the stiff section are for the most part areas with a long history.

Ratings are simply funky for example someone recently posted beta about how the first pitch of Liberty Crack has a couple of 11a moves on it. I thought was middle 5.10.

PP bigdrink.gif