Poison Ivy Cough

This is so bizarre, I didn't know where else to post it. I was climbing at Poison Ivy Crack. Being very sensitive to poison oak and poison ivy, I stayed well clear of the plants. When I was putting my rope away, some dust was raised and breathed it in. My throat and lungs were on fire. It was like breathing hot peppers. I just about coughed up a lung. We cleared out and the condition soon passed. Can it be possible that oils from the plants might have condensed on the soil and were carried up with the dust into my lungs? I don't know any other explanation.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fence_Sitter said:

is it possible to be unaffected by poison ivy? while up in the icicle i was all up in it as was my partner... he had a shitty ride home and i felt nothing... what's up? confused.gif

yes. reaction to poison ivy varies considerably from individual to individual and across time (you could still get it bad some other time).

Some people are completely unaffected by poison ivy, while others are extremely sensitive. I've heard that some become more sensitive with each exposure. What I do know is that rashes are made more severe by hot weather and sweating. It probably aids penetration of the oils. The oil is known as Urushiol and is a phenolic compound with long unstaturated hydrocarbon side chains that are very similar in structure to the compounds in hot chili peppers. It basically fools your immune system into thinking it is under attack. If you have been exposed, wash with soap and water (warm, but not hot) as soon as you can and you may likely avoid getting the rash.

My father once was exposed to smoke from burning poison ivy and got a horrible whole body rash. Severe cases can be treated with antihistamines and corticosteroids.

gregm said:

Fence_Sitter said:

is it possible to be unaffected by poison ivy? while up in the icicle i was all up in it as was my partner... he had a shitty ride home and i felt nothing... what's up? confused.gif

yes. reaction to poison ivy varies considerably from individual to individual and across time (you could still get it bad some other time).

If you've been exposed to poison oak/ivy repeatedly and have no problems, you probably don't react to it. Lucky you. If you've only had exposure the one time, you'll have to wait until next time to see if you are sensitive. The second exposure (and subsequent ones) will let you know. The first one just primes your system for an allergic reaction next time.

Cold water may be a good idea, but alcohol is a very bad idea. It acts as a penetration enhancer. It can carry other chemicals across the stratum corneum that wouldn't otherwise penetrate. In other words, just use good old soap and water.

When I was a little kid, my mother gave us baths after we were exposed to poison oak. It had the effect of spreading the oils over my entire body. A shower obviously is a much better idea.

As one who has worked and hunts in areas filled with poison oak (I don't think Poison Ivy is on the West Coast?), I am a true believer in Technu. Since the Oak gives off oils, water is not always the best thing since it won't always wash away. Secondly, if you cannot get to water and soap in a short period of time (ie. less than an hour) the oils will seep into your skin. Technu can be bought at any forestry supply store or drug store. You apply it to the affected area ande rub it into your skin then you can wash it off later when you get to an area with water.

There are also pills out now with trace amounts of the poison in them to build up your immune system. I became totally immune to poison Ivy back in Va. over the years, butr as soon as I moved out to Oregon, I got it just as bad as when I was a kid. A friend of mine played a trick on his then girlfriend (now wife) He told her that if she ate poison oak she'd never get it again. She did, and was inthe hospital for a few days cause it got in her throat. That was 20 years ago and to this day has never had it again!

Fence_Sitter said:

I have never had poisen oak or poisen ivy (knock on wood) I belive some people are immune cool.gif

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

Fence_Sitter said:

I have never had poisen oak or poisen ivy (knock on wood) I belive some people are immune cool.gif

Yeah,same here never gotten poison oak either. I'm pretty sure you are right about that. laugh.gif

catbirdseat said:

Severe cases can be treated with antihistamines and corticosteroids.

I am severely allergic to poison ivy and have gotton it an uncountable amount of times. I moved here to WA from TX 2 years ago and hadn't encountered it here until 4th of July weekend. Coming back down off of Easy Ridge (after attempting Challenger) bushwhacking until we found the trail. At some point during that bushwhacking session I picked it up. I got a systemic infection (I think that is the term) which is where it gets into your blood stream and causes swelling. (probably got into my blood stream through a bug bite I was sratching at the time). My arm swelled up pretty good with the normal yellow, pussing blisters, so on Saturday I went to the ER and got a Cortisone/Steriod and a Benadryl shot in my moon.gif Swelling started going down about 36-48 hours later. My arm is much better now. I have recieved at least 6-8 Cortisone shots battling poison ivy in my life. I would rather get cut and recieve stiches than battle poision ivy. I hate it more than any thing besides maybe a broken bone. I once had it for over a month. Not fun. thumbs_down.gif

And for some reason, it is very unattractive to the ladies. smileysex5.gifconfused.gif

Edited by Dustin_B

• 2 weeks later...