Olympics

Jake_Gano

Hey all

Anyone have any info about climbing in the Olympics? I'm moving to Washington from Illinois (big change) in a couple of weeks to take up a job for the FS on the penninsula. What are some recommended climbs? Any good guidebooks? As the season gets later do some of the glaciated climbs open up to make some alpine ice climbs like in other parts of the range? Also is there anywhere in the area with big/open icefalls, for say serac ice climbing? Transportation for awhile will be pretty limited, so the penninsula will be the only place I'll be climbing for awhile.

Thanks,

Jake

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake -

Don't expect to find much ice climbing in the Olympics. I don't believe there are any ice faces at all, and any glaciers that have icefalls are a long way from the road so it may not be worth it to carry ice climbing gear just for some serac practice. There are some beautiful peaks in the range, though, and the Olympus group in particular is quite alpine with glaciers flowing off the peaks in all directions. For easy access, the east flank of the range has several peaks that are not glaciated but which have very enjoyable moderate rock routes, and the backpacking opportunites are superb. The guidebook provides scant information and is out of date, although I am not sure there has been much new route activity and the only drawback there would be that some of the access information will be incorrect.

guides: Olympic Mountain Rescue Climbing Guide (very old) has the most complete description of the range. Smoot's Climbing Washington's Mountains book (new) has some Olympic peaks in it.

Mt. Cruiser might be one alpine rock route you'd be interested in, along with some other peaks in that area. i agree w/ the others' sentiments that you'll be very hard pressed to find what you're looking for over there though. Olympics are more well known for their backpacking than climbing.

AlpineK said:

The Olympics are the perfect place to take hallucinogenic drugs and stare at funky trees. Other than that the climbing is fairly suck. mushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif

One has cause to listen to the voice of experience...

The hiking is great, though...