Thielsen TR just for you Mr. Natural

Anna

Climbed Thielsen today with Mr. badass himself, wazzumountaineer! Made really good time, enjoyed some very cool views, and the last scramble to the top was AWESOME!

not much snow left up there.....

Kurt I remembered the name of that fire I was on near Jefferson a few summers back...Olallie Lake Fire. Told ya I would remember eventually!

Pictures pending...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna covered most of it, but...

We met at the trailhead and were on the way by 7am. Time to the PCT was about 1 hour 15 minutes. There are a few really small patches of snow on the trail up to timberline, but nothing to get worked up about. We took the left hand side of the ridge because the going is a lot easier than the choss on the right; it's easy class 3 scrambling on the left side. We hit the summit sometime around 10:15am, after a little coaxing to get Anna up there sans rope. She definately scrambled like a champ! thumbs_up.gif The views were decent since we could see south to Shasta...but the views north are currently obscured by the Davis Lake fire near LaPine. We headed back down and had our summit bigdrink.gif just below Chicken Point. Then the choss sliding began on our descent to the PCT. We finally hit the trailhead around 12:45pm, just in time for a couple more bigdrink.gifs...

here's the West ridge from the summit:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=1294

And the Summit Pinnacle from near the PCT:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=1293

oh, and go on a weekday because we didn't see another soul all day! rockband.gif

I climbed that route a few years ago and on that last bit climbed past some MountainEars wearing plastic boots (in early October!, Hot!, no snow!) with a fixed line up to the summit.

Great views and some fun bouldering on those wierd lava towers near the summit.

Ahhh, Climbing... It takes all kinds.

1826thielsen.jpg

Agree, cool bouldering on the volcanic stuff. After playing around there, 3FJ, Broken Top I think volcanic stuff gets a seriously bum rap. Some of it is choss, but some is totally solid and you can't find anything any frictionyer (is that a word? rolleyes.gif). Can't see the need to place pro on that last 80 feet or so, pretty mild scrambling. Definitely a fun outing. thumbs_up.gif

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Hey, DFA climbed Thielsen a while back. Kind of a walkup. Is he part of this mysterious Cascade Horsecock Society now, or what?

If you will attest that you were wearing shorts over polypro longjohns, your application will be reviewed.

gapertimmy said:

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

"More frictiony."

Hey, DFA climbed Thielsen a while back. Kind of a walkup. Is he part of this mysterious Cascade Horsecock Society now, or what?

i'm sorry but you must have summited a glaciated peak to become a member of our club hahaha.gif

Thielsen, 3 Fingered Jack, and Broken Top are "Glaciated" peaks? Hmm....

Alpinfox said:

gapertimmy said:

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

"More frictiony."

i'm sorry but you must have summited a glaciated peak to become a member of our club hahaha.gif

That must mean peaks that were glaciated at one time. But then that would include just about everything... rolleyes.gif

Alpinfox said:

gapertimmy said:

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

"More frictiony."

where did anyone say that they were glaciated? mabe i am blind, but i dont see it...

Fence_Sitter said:

Alpinfox said:

where did anyone say that they were glaciated? mabe i am blind, but i dont see it...

It's here. rolleyes.gif

for Mazama membership are: Mt Thielsen, Broken Top, South, Middle and North Sister, Three Fingered Jack, Mt Jefferson and Mt. Hood. In Washington, summiting Mt. St. Helens, blah, blah, blah...

snoboy said:

Fence_Sitter said:

Alpinfox said:

It's here. rolleyes.gif

for Mazama membership are: Mt Thielsen, Broken Top, South, Middle and North Sister, Three Fingered Jack, Mt Jefferson and Mt. Hood. In Washington, summiting Mt. St. Helens, blah, blah, blah...

gawtca