nunatak gear: unreliable

ibarash

ibarash said:1) I posted this to the group as a warning, so that people do not do as I foolishly did and trust oral promises to get important gear from Nunatak in time for a big trip. Whether it is Tom's fault or his sewers or the postal service is really none of my business. Tom originally agreed to get the bag to us 1.5 weeks ahead of when we were leaving. Being told 5.5 days ahead of time that it was not going to come, is unacceptable.

What? He told you he couldn't and refunded your money. WTF else was he supposed to do? Give you a free bag? tongue.gif 1.5weeks = 8 days. 5.5 is pretty damn close - and great for most businesses. Even at 1.5 weeks your still cutting it way close. Maybe you should have ordered it alittle earlier? Believe me - they're are ALOT of companies that sell things far more expensive (like 3 orders of magnitude) that treat their customers even worse. Get over it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.5 months ago, we ordered a dual alpinist sleeping bag from Tom at Nunatak

Nanatuk had 1.5 months, knew that there was a deadline, and represented that they could get it done 1.5 weeks prior to departure date....they didn't...and didn't bother to tell them for a few extra days knowing they were leaving on a big trip. madgo_ron.gif I would be pissed off too.

Tom rockband.gif but dropped the ball on this one.

ibarash:

My wife and I zip our sleeping bags together (Marmots). We have a decent system where we use two -5 down bags in winter, spring, and fall (In the Cascades) and one -5 down bag with one 30 degree down bag in summer. If its warm we put the 30 degree up, and the -5 on the botom. Cold, and we put the 30 degree on the bottom and the -5 on top.

Works good, but the hoods don't line up and it can get kind of funky. But we make it work.

Good luck.... bigdrink.gif

Rodchester said:

My wife and I zip our sleeping bags together (Marmots). We have a decent system where we use two -5 down bags in winter, spring, and fall (In the Cascades) and one -5 down bag with one 30 degree down bag in summer. If its warm we put the 30 degree up, and the -5 on the botom. Cold, and we put the 30 degree on the bottom and the -5 on top.

Holy crap! You must sleep cold! I can't imagine using a -5 around here in the spring or fall, let alone two of them with another person's body heat!

Holy crap! You must sleep cold! I can't imagine using a -5 around here in the spring or fall, let alone two of them with another person's body heat!

No not really...we make the call on the spot. If we are on one of the volcanoes and it is cold -5 side up, down lower and it is warm... you get the picture. Not like the date (Spring or Fall)dictates, the temps do. Spring and Fall temps can really vary around here. And the 30 dgeree bagcan be cold....especially for the wife. bigdrink.gif

wave.gif

ibarash said:

1) I posted this to the group as a warning, so that people do not do as I foolishly did and trust oral promises to get important gear from Nunatak in time for a big trip. ...

That is ridiculous. You want to “warn us” that because they had a problem with your one order the whole company is unreliable??? Please. You were likely just pissed off and wanted to retaliate in a public forum. thumbs_down.gif

Besides, why be so upset about gear? It’s not the tools that make a trip work, or make a good climber. This you surely know, from what I’ve heard.

I think your post on CC.com was chicken shit. If I were planning a trip like yours I would have put a little more thought into it and had gear ready several weeks prior to leaving. I have talked to Nunatak before and from the sound of it I don't think he purposefully screwed you over. Sounds like another shit happens story. Chalk it up as experience and go on with your life but don't try and hurt someone else because of your misfortunes.

Dam people. Who has the vendetta, the original poster or all the bandwagoners taking a cheap shot over the internet? Shit.

The guy screwed up and it made the web. People have also posted stories about the Euro mail order companies too. Why didn't you all freak out about those posts?

Personally I want to know this stuff. It ain't necessarily going to keep me from buying Nunatak gear, but I still want this information.

All you freaking whiners should STFU and quit gobbling each other's sacks.

I have to say that I think Nunatak seems like a stand up company making high quality and innovative down gear for those in a niche market. I think the original poster should ask him/herself whether he/she would like someone to post each and every screw up of his/her's on the internet so that people know to be careful when being around him/her. Man, you really have to take into account the fact that small businesses can really be affected by this type of publicity. This isn't Return Equip Inc, this is a guy in the Methow trying to make a living and one thing didn't go exactly as planned. Be a little forgiving of the guy for crying out loud.

I talked to him about some gear and he invited me to his place to check out the products and how his gear is made.

I've met the owner of Nunatuk. Nice guy. He dropped the ball on this one. He admits it. Glad he took ownership of dropping the ball. Not many Americans these days take responsibility for the actions that are taken....always want to blame it on somebody else.

I don't mind if it was posted here on the internet. You think the quality of cc.com and all its spray postings will detract the market from choosing Nunatak gear in the future? I don't think so.

Many of you have responded quality things about Nunatak in previous postings. Those quality postings are currently outweigh the negative postings.

Attitude said:

Hey Crackbolter,

What would Feathered Friends do in this situation?

It happens all the time. Customers vent on public forums hoping that their voice is heard and shoppers will go elsewhere. Have you seen this?

This is a classic example of one guy getting fed up with the service of a small company. The problem with this customer is that his card number was declined and we tried to contact him but his phone didn't have an answering machine. It was our fault for not afforing a secure on-line ordering ability. I agree, it is necessary but expensive.

This is a final draft of our new site.

It should go live in the next day or so.

BTW, Tom was an old FF employee. Rock Wren looks like the Raku?

I only hear good things about Nunatuk and with a name like that, you can't go wrong.