South East Ridge on Bonanza

ncascademtns

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is bonanza an enjoyable climb? I'm thinking you must think so since you're planning on doing it a second time. Everybody I know who has done it seems to think it's just a horrible pile of choss. I've always had an interest, however, considering it's tallest-non-volcano status and it's remote location.

Bonnanza is a great peak - sees few assents because it's way out there. I've only heard the SE ridge can be some interesting route finding, only been up the MG myself. Good luck, and please post a TR on your return.

Bonanza is a Cascade Classic. That alone is reason enough to go climb it. And it's not chossy at all (at least for the Mary Green Glacier Route). Don't know about any other parts of the mountain.

Here is a picture of the mountain from Fortress Mountain in late September 2000: Bonanza Picture. The Southeast Ridge is the long crest on the right.

I had some fun on this climb a few years ago. I remember the climbing was straight forward but loose until we came to a steep step that is mentioned in the Beckey description. Difficult to tell from below how difficult the climbing is, or about the pro. We decided to climb left of the ridge until we were able to get back on to the crest. This took us a few pitches, some of which included a couple pieces of aid and some sweat. Details are fuzzy however. We were a party of 3, but I can't remember what length rope we had. I'm thinking that our pitches were short. Maybe Bob Davis will remember more? Enjoy the area.

If i could proide any beta for your accent on bonanza it would be make sure that you'r set for some real cascade climbing. The remote local of the peak and trekking involved gaining the mary green glacier makes bonanza a very worth while but tiresome climb. The snow melt lake/tarns up near the shoulder make a great camp. Good luck in the area, its some of the best climbing around in washington.

Back in town yesterday around 6:00pm.

We ended up doing the standard route. One of the guys ended up spending just over an hour in an ice box on the Mary Green Glacier. 20 ft drop. The snow bridge on the thumb probably has about a couple weeks of life left in it.

Excellent climb on Saturday and we were back in Holden for coffee around 10:30pm.

We bivy'd outside the Hiking Haus on the side of the street and was up at 5:00am for breakfast.

Excellent climb!

Glad your party got back in one piece.

I was up there with PMS in 2000. The two harder spots were getting over the schrund (and then onto steep scree) and the aid step Jim mentions (which was a bypass of the Yellow Step). The ridge itself is mostly running belays. We used a 30m rope and had only a small rack.

The Yellow Step didn't look that compelling -- perhaps 2 pitches of fairly steep face with some pockets and small cracks that would take protection.

It's a long way to go for a little bit of rock climbing but Bonanza is spectacular so any route is worth doing. Holden Lake trail is dusty and buggy, though. Make sure to spend a little time in Holden looking through the museum.

• 4 weeks later...