Silver Star

ncascademtns

Did Silver Star this weekend via Burgandy Col, Silver Star Glacier. Climbers path up is well beaten.

Still spots of snow in the gully going up to the Col. Camped at the Col. (5) bivy sight with one of them big enough for a tent. Second tent was pitched on a patch of snow on the east side of the Col.

Route to summit straight forward.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a lot of snafflehounds in evidence in the basin below the col, I and a friend were there for two nights, but none of them got to our food. The col is only just over an hour above the best camping spots even carrying a rack and ropes. Might as well camp in the basin until the bugs get bad.

I found a rope half way up the North Face of Burgundy (see Lost and Found). That and a bunch of other shit - popular route to bail off. Bootie Call!! Also did East Face of Chianti which is excellent.

YEAH THAT LITTLE MEADOW IS NICE.....I THINK IF I WERE TO GO BACK UP AGAIN FOR A TWO DAY TRIP, THAT MIGHT BE A BETTER PLACE.

YO KNOW THERE WAS A SPRING A FEW HUNDRED YARDS NORTH OF THE BOULDER WITH THE BOLT.

CHIANITI IS NEXT!

Just got back from a climb of Silver Star via Silver Star creek. I haven't done the Burgundy col route, but this was nice, a leisurely trip in (lots of blowdown but easy to circumvent), a bivouac about tree line and an early 9AM start for the second day. The bugs are not bad yet. The views on the approach are great once you turn the corner. Nice trip.

Coopah said:

Good climb which can be bagged in a long day if you leave the road early! Cut your pack weight in half and cruise.... rockband.gif

Tis the only way to do it, unless you want to get some turns in on your trip, then do it as a two-day and carry in the plankers thumbs_up.gif

Fairweather, do the col, it is much, much faster. Do the Silver Star Creek, (some brush) if doing it as a two-day event. But just do it in one day. You'll be tired at the end but that makes the beer taste better when you get back to the car bigdrink.gifcool.gif

We hit the trail at 11:30am on Saturday and was up to the col at 4:30pm. On a two day trip I was in no rush so we breaked about every thousand feet for about 20 minutes. Given a one day trip, we would have been on the move.

Getting to the col at 4:30pm and with a full moon, it was tempting to bag the summit that evening. A 5:30am start on Sunday and we were on the summit by 7:30am (1 hour on summit) and was back to the col around 10:00am. Packed up and was back to the cars at 2:00pm.

I think a beer taste better after 2 days than just 1 long day. That's my thought

bigdrink.gif

plexus said:

Fairweather, do the col, it is much, much faster. Do the Silver Star Creek, (some brush) if doing it as a two-day event. But just do it in one day. You'll be tired at the end but that makes the beer taste better when you get back to the car bigdrink.gifcool.gif

I've skied Silver Star several times in one day going up Silver Star creek, and just last week we did Clean Breaks in one day up the creek.

norman... the wine spires are pretty accessable as day trips imo, if comin' up from burgundy cr. startin early makes for doin the hike in the cool morning, then one can chillout take in the veiws, and wait till the sun comes above, then there are many routes to go for some favorites are doing the w. ridge of paisano pinnacle, cool crack climbing up a narrow ridge with nice ledges, and good rock(some lichen), this is a good aproach to the n.side of burgundy, you start rock climbing sooner and the pithches are real fun,( think double and triple cracks on mini headwalls) beats the loose upper aproach to burg col. the rest of burgundy nw face is cool too some funk but good intersting climbing, find the cool lookin squeeze chimmney near the top, and get in there like swimwear and top right out! this scenario gives you a bit of climbing at a mellow pace and timed right in the sun... also goin in from silverstar cr. works too the 1st time up e face of chianti we went this way and were in the sun most of the day rappin in the shade, takin in the veiws at the col then enjoying a nice early evening hike out burg cr. only thing is you gotta hitch back to car @ silverstar creek, but this is usually no problem on weekends. on a side note the camping up there is way worth the burden of hiking you shit up there. bart and i had a good time hikin in from burg cr. in the late afternoon with awesome light on the w.face of silverstar and the wine spires, makin lite bivi @ burg col w amazing sunset, then rise early and climbed e face chablis, s. face pernod, e. face chianti, in the sun, then as the sun moves to the west side hike around back to col, rehydrate, eat then bust nw.face burg in sun, makes for a really cool tour of the area,neat little summits, rad climbing, rich history, on awesome rock,and in the sun all day... good times. also has anyone else done the rt. " rampage" on paisano? cool dihederal midway but i thought everything else kinda blew... including not being able to locate the last pitch on runout lichen to nowhere? just curios on any other perspectives. bobbyp