Alpine rock classic?

ken4ord

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cpt.Caveman said:

Index- left of NF - think it's 195? route or so.

E. Face of the North Peak put up in '51. 5.7 grade IV (Love those Becky 5.7's rolleyes.gif)

How bout the north face of Baring? That goes at 5.10 and definetly an alpine setting. No glacier but lots of route finding and brush, similar to Mt. Index.

Also in the moderate but fun category, I'd include the Gerber/Sink route on the N Face of Dragontail. I think we finished with the top of the Hidden Couloir route, crossing the ledge system below the fin and topping out right at the summit. I thought it was much more fun than Serpentine Arete.

The NE Buttress on Dragontail was also fun, less travelled which has its own appeal. Its a little schizophrenic, first half is an alpine rock climb and the last half more wandering and moderate, but with a great position. Be forewarned that the info in Beckey's guide may not be correct, since it did not jibe with what I observed (I may post a report and info sometime, if I ever get inspired to finish the project) but if you're prepared for 5.8ish rock any of several lines will get you there with a good adventure quotient.

N Ridge of Forbidden is also a splendid outing. We did the ridge proper, not the snow face as recommended in Nelson's guide, and had a total blast.

I'd echo Mattp's comments on N Ridge of Stuart. When I did the complete I was surprised by just how good and long the upper part was, since it always looked so small in photos. The second time around we just did the upper part, and it was great.

There's also this route on the W Face of Silverstar I've been trying to cajole people into doing a second ascent of for awhile now, enough so that I think its becoming a bit of a joke. Obviously, I think its classic, and the rock is quite good, but its more 5.10ish and you'll want to bring the ropegun along for the hard fingercrack at the top.

My wishlist looks like everyone else's, with the possible addition of Gunsight, and perhaps the Kearney route on N Face Bear, which looks a little shorter and easier than the DNB. Anyone here done either of these?

whattup off! no joke... your route on silver star is on the short list... maybe this weekend. can't wait to finally check it out! also, maybe not really alpine, but as far as rock quality, veiws, exposure, and challenging climbing, the west face of colchuck balanced rock brings it, though if all free not really moderate... oh well... bobbyp

p.s. whos been on castle peak? oh yeah the se butt on cathederal pk is pretty boss too, again not really alpine but oot- there... another thing off- skeriks playing with areally cool group on the 4th of july in seattle you should checkit...

Bronco said:

Cpt.Caveman said:

Index- left of NF - think it's 195? route or so.

E. Face of the North Peak put up in '51. 5.7 grade IV (Love those Becky 5.7's rolleyes.gif)

How bout the north face of Baring? That goes at 5.10 and definetly an alpine setting. No glacier but lots of route finding and brush, similar to Mt. Index.

Yeah North Face of Baring looks cool. Anyone been on that. An up high roof traverse looks like fun and plenty of exposure. I guess fun if there is gear?

j_b said:

michael_layton said:

Back of Beyond Buttress! My favorite rockclimb ever. ****!

tell us about it.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=61928&page=7&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

I refuse to hyperbolize further tongue.gif Go do it thumbs_up.gif Wait until all the snow is melted at the base so you can have as much of the 1st ptch as possible the_finger.gif

Yeah dats da chit I'm talking about. F-man that sounded like a great day out. Heres to you guys bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif. Oooh now I dying to get to that area. Just anywhere at the pass since I haven't been there yet.

Anyone, any route up for going up there next week, during the weekday (5/16-5/20) that is?

Forbidden

Slesse

Stuart

Prusik or Dragontail

Cathedral Group

Liberty Bell

If you want the rock quality to be high this is what I suggest the big difference being the degree of committment and the approach/descent. There's a whole lot to choose from more if you are not offended by some loose pitches, heather, lack of crowds, and so on.

cathederal is lovely grin.gif search for mr.naturals pics, should give an idea, but pics can't really do justice to the feeling of being far out(man), on perfect climbing. mushsmile.gifdefinatly checkit... and throw some horseshoes and drink scmidtty at the tungsten mine bigdrink.gif, all stocked up! bobbyp