• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Stove Diagnostics

I have an MSR Dragonfly white gas stove. It's recently been choking so I gave it an overhaul servicing. Now it burns hot like new... but it's become very finicky. If the flame extinguishes for a second, it's impossible to reignite without having to let the thing completely cool down and go through the entire process of re-priming the stove. I know this is what you're supposed to do, but I've never had to do this before. It's like I busted my stoves cherry, and she just ain't the same anymore frown.gif Anyone have any insights?

Just traded in my Dragonfly for an XGK because the Dragonfly left me high and dry (for the second time) on a winter camping trip. I learned from the friendly and helpful Cascade Designs guy (they own MSR now) that the cone-shaped threads on the flame adjuster develop carbon deposits over time and cause the flame adjuster to no longer work properly. For $15, a special tool (that should have been provided with the stove in the first place) is available to solve this problem.

With a little convincing, I ended up trading in the Dragonfly for the XGK in an effort to be completely over this "problem" that MSR still does not address with their new stoves.

I've had MSR liquid fuel stoves forever. However, this is the first time I've run into this problem (at least not been able to fix it.)

If I had it all to do over again, I think I'd get the MSR Super Fly. It's a canister stove that accepts a variety of canister types. Anybody have one of those? Do you like it? What don't you like about it?

I have a special tool always in reach for the delicate job of stove diagnosics -

rock.jpg