In defense of nailing Green Dragon

DPS

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehmmic posted her story and admitted guilt. I am glad she is safe. I am also glad she posted and started this debate. I don't know if she knew what she was getting into but she triggered a good discussion on ethics and rock degradation. She will not forget it. Same for others. That is a good thing. A few learn and the rock stays in good shape a little longer.

Climb on Ehmmic. rockband.gif

fyi, when cleaning pins, hit them with upwards strikes, tap downwards to their original orientation, then repeat. this will create a wedge shape well suited to nut placement. this technique is especially helpful on first ascents of soft rock (for example, many routes in zion were prepped in this way by the first ascentionists).

lummox said:

fyi, when cleaning pins, hit them with upwards strikes, tap downwards to their original orientation, then repeat. this will create a wedge shape well suited to nut placement. this technique is especially helpful on first ascents of soft rock (for example, many routes in zion were prepped in this way by the first ascentionists).

yeaH! after all we all want to be "Free Climbers!" cantfocus.gif

remember kidz "Just say no to aid" as "aid" equals Trouble! bigdrink.gif

...how many times?

Jason,

When it comes to bailing...I'm an expert! The technical stuff is the easy part, it's the mental anguish and depression that follows afterwards that is the crux....But so far I'm 3 for 5 on El Cap, so that ain't too bad. And I wouldn't call the NA and Trip the easiest routes on El Cap. Trade routes sure, but they are steep and scary as hell, and both were attempted with first timers....not that it matters. Anyway, hopefully that rate will change this spring.

Bug couldn't have said it better. I wanted to start a ethics discussion, not a "what ehmmic did right or wrong" spray fest.

lummox brings up a great point about the best way to clean pins!

I wanted to start a ethics discussion, not a "what ehmmic did right or wrong" spray fest.

What's ethically more correct then? Getting yourself down from a pitch with a couple of pitons and going home for burgers or calling in a rescue while on top of Glacier Peak because you were to scared to walk down the mountain? hahaha.gif

I just had to.

i plan to nail my way up Classic Crack by leap frogging my 4 bongs. the_finger.gif to clean climbing nazis. if you dont like my pin placements i will bolt it.

on a more serious note Perry Beckham was witnessed hammering pins into University Wall (even though he has freed it!!) while guiding an aid ascent, not for safety, merely for convenience, to make the pitch go faster. discuss. yellaf.gif

Yeah that's pretty funny... rolleyes.gif

Once again, IF the pins WERE placed as a rap anchor then your little argument might hold some water. Sure, preserving a life comes WAY before a little bit of rock scaring. However, they wern't...so the point your are trying to make seems a bit obtuse to me...

So if others want to continue this discussion- forget about ehmmic and the Green Drag-on. She's over it, I'm over it, lets stop refering to her not-so-fun experience.

Lets focus on the topic. What justifies placing pitons? Does a wet crack justify it? Does being scared justify it? I've nailed pins on routes that have gone clean, I'm not inoccent. But I feel guilty, and regret even getting on the route. After how many clean ascents does it become no-longer OK to nail a on route? One, a few...?

Oh and by the way...the cheap shots about Glacier peak are not upsetting me...so might as well just give it up. The ethics of cell phones is a different subject.

Szyjakowski said:

Dru said:

i plan to nail my way up Classic Crack by leap frogging my 4 bongs. the_finger.gif to clean climbing nazis. if you dont like my pin placements i will bolt it.

Ok sao it will be a retrobolt, big deal. boxing_smiley.gif

too late Fred already did years ago.... evidence is still there. bigdrink.gif

Dru said:

Szyjakowski said:

Dru said:

Ok sao it will be a retrobolt, big deal. boxing_smiley.gif

too late Fred already did years ago.... evidence is still there. bigdrink.gif

good fukin luck removing the welded on rusty shanks that fred called bolts...or whoever really putem in back in the 19th century! bigdrink.gif

Lambone said:

Yeah that's pretty funny... rolleyes.gif

Once again, IF the pins WERE placed as a rap anchor then your little argument might hold some water. Sure, preserving a life comes WAY before a little bit of rock scaring. However, they wern't...so the point your are trying to make seems a bit obtuse to me...

So if others want to continue this discussion- forget about ehmmic and the Green Drag-on. She's over it, I'm over it, lets stop refering to her not-so-fun experience.

Lets focus on the topic. What justifies placing pitons? Does a wet crack justify it? Does being scared justify it? I've nailed pins on routes that have gone clean, I'm not inoccent. But I feel guilty, and regret even getting on the route. After how many clean ascents does it become no-longer OK to nail a on route? One, a few...?

Oh and by the way...the cheap shots about Glacier peak are not upsetting me...so might as well just give it up. The ethics of cell phones is a different subject.

The topic was - they rescued themselves and you couldn't. hahaha.gif

Tell us how it was. Was it something like that beach raid on Apocalypse Now when all the choppers came in?

Rescued themselves???? They wen't climbing in the rain, brought pins, nailed them, got sick of the rain, built an anchor out of cams and nuts and bailed...leaving the pins. By the way, the anchor is to Sean's left in that link posted above.

Riding on the Chinook was fun, bet you wish you were still doing that kind of stuff...?

Lambone said:

Rescued themselves???? They wen't climbing in the rain, brought pins, nailed them, got sick of the rain, built an anchor out of cams and nuts and bailed...leaving the pins. By the way, the anchor is to Sean's left in that link posted above.

Awesome. Sounds like they got to the burger joint unassisted.

What about your stint? Did you just get tired of the wind?

Lambone said:

Riding on the Chinook was fun, bet you wish you were still doing that kind of stuff...?

1. You are a liar for the sake of argument.

2. That wasn't what happened, you weren't there so don't pretend you know what you are talking about.

4. Two pins were placed

5. I don't think I have ever aid climbed when it's not raining, I'm not made of sugar, I won't melt, and btw we spent the night up there for fun

If you are so inclined to continue the conversation, which it seems you are, why don't you call me at work, so at least you can talk about it with the person that was there rather that making up a bunch of horseshit, of do you have the balls to...

Geoff

My work 425.402.6237