Portland Pub Club Thursday

Terminal_Gravity

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah.

Dru, good guess. But the psychoactive constituents in my special beer are not nearly so mundane, boring & typical as hemp. Surfed that one already -- so has about every brewer I know.

It is more of a combination of the ale drank by berserkers before battle and the gruit drank by the social misfits and the party crowd of 14th century England.

It is funny that you mention the purity law. Besides developing a more stringent tax law the Reinhiesibot (sp?) was primarily designed to quash the highly inebriating and psychotropic beers being brewed at the time. Englands hop laws preceded Germany. 1300 to 1500 AD was the golden age of brewing. Herbology was a big part of the art and several herbs that are much more uplifting and arousing than hops were used to counter act the sweetness of malt.

There is nothing new about governments making anything that is too much fun, illeagle.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

And I always thought the BPL was invented to ensure that those fruit beers like Blackberry Ale, did not qualify as real beer and hence were labelled girly drinks along with hard lemonade and rockaberry cider.

TG you talkin' shroom beer then or what? I heard you can make wine out of mushrooms... : cool.gif" border="0

Cap.C ; Good point about the border police. I'm pretty sure I can't take kegs across the border and they damn well sure won't fit up my ass.

Dru - Since you asked. Malt, yeast, water and just a bit of Fuggles hops for aroma. And then, the botanicals!Scottish Marsh Rosemary ( nothing like common rosemary), Sweet Gale and Yarrow. The Yarrow contains a chemical called thujone (sp?) which is the psychoactive ingredient in true Absenthe. (The Absenthe that you can get in Canada uses wormwood that has been bred to have no thojone in it.) Those three herbs together produce a nice old world flavor in the beer and a buzzy, happy euphoria with a bit of sexual arousal thrown in for good measure.

That was step one. Now it gets good.

I then took some Mandrake and steeped it in ethanol to make a ticture and added that to the boiling wort. Mandrake was one of the most sacred plants of druids. It is in the nightshade family along with henbane. In small quantities it produces great energy and feelings of superhuman strength and invulnerability (the berserker connection). In moderate quantities it can cause loss of muscle control or a coma. More than that it is fatal. [hell no]

The base beer is a sour mash with a bit of smoked malt brewed to be about 8% alchohol. True to form for the special occasion beers of old England.

ehmmic, There may not be any of this beer left, but I promise that I will bring as many kegs of IPA as needed for the spring ropeup.

Will, I do hope that we all can get together Tuesday [big Drink]

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

tg, all i know is that i will be down soon, to get some of that shit. just think how many sorerity parties you could be the MAN at. now i just need to get back college. that or just get me lady all tanked. but seriously. that sounds like some good shiznit and interesting. i bet after quaffing a couple i could send narrow arrow.

quote:

Originally posted by Terminal Gravity:
Cap.C ; Good point about the border police. I'm pretty sure I can't take kegs across the border and they damn well sure won't fit up my ass.

Dru - Since you asked. Malt, yeast, water and just a bit of Fuggles hops for aroma. And then, the botanicals!Scottish Marsh Rosemary ( nothing like common rosemary), Sweet Gale and Yarrow. The Yarrow contains a chemical called thujone (sp?) which is the psychoactive ingredient in true Absenthe. (The Absenthe that you can get in Canada uses wormwood that has been bred to have no thojone in it.) Those three herbs together produce a nice old world flavor in the beer and a buzzy, happy euphoria with a bit of sexual arousal thrown in for good measure.

That was step one. Now it gets good.

I then took some Mandrake and steeped it in ethanol to make a ticture and added that to the boiling wort. Mandrake was one of the most sacred plants of druids. It is in the nightshade family along with henbane. In small quantities it produces great energy and feelings of superhuman strength and invulnerability (the berserker connection). In moderate quantities it can cause loss of muscle control or a coma. More than that it is fatal.
[hell no]

The base beer is a sour mash with a bit of smoked malt brewed to be about 8% alchohol. True to form for the special occasion beers of old England.

ehmmic, There may not be any of this beer left, but I promise that I will bring as many kegs as needed for the spring ropeup.

Will, I do hope that we all can get together Tuesday
[big Drink]

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

You can get Absinthe in Canada with quite high thujone content. But don't drink Hills Absinthe from Czech Republic! That is the thujone-less stuff.

More info www.erowid.org

quote:

Dru, I am happy to hear that I was mistaking. No true Absinthe in th US.

Are you the smartest guy in the world...is there anything you don't know something about? I am impressed.

I know nothing at all about baseball and football trivia. Ditto guns, airplanes, standard clutches, and the dialectics of postmodernism. I know very little about classical music and boy bands. Cell biology, genetics and biochemistry are subjects I am only cursorily knowledgeable in. Can't ski at all. Can't drive standard. Can't barbeque properly, it always ends up blackened anmd half raw. Second to Capt. in posting to this bbs. I have no avatars. Cant remember rules to cribbage. Weak at TV trivia, never seen an episode of Cheers or Ally McBeal. Not familiar with much long hair tight jeans 80s rock and roll. [laf]

quote:

Dru, I am happy to hear that I was mistaking. No true Absinthe in th US.

Are you the smartest guy in the world...is there anything you don't know something about? I am impressed.

careful tg, drul isn't to hip on chicks either, so sweet talkin' him like that probably gets him all hot and bothered. i think caveman has the link to drul's love dungeon's web cam.

drul you can't bbq, are you sure you are a man?!?!?!?