Contacts at high altitude

chris_w

Has anyone had any problems while wearing contacts at high altitude? I have heard that they do not let enough oxygen through above 14,000 feet. I am planning on asking my eye doctor but would also like to hear any first hand experience. I am planning on using them on denali. Right now I have a habit of leaving them in for a week before I take them out and clean them.

Thanks

Chris

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been to teh top of Rainier many times with contacts adn no problems. I use the accuview disposables, wear them 2-3 weeks at a time w/o taking them out (yeah yeah yeah, I know...), and have never had problems. Just remember to sleep with your rewetting drops...

Chris, I just got a new type of extendable wear contacts that are suppose to be 6 times more oxygen permeable than the nearest competitor (may be marketing hype?). Apparently there is only one company who makes them right now. I can't remember who makes them or what they're called, but I'll find out and let you know.

I have the accuview IIs as well and leave them in for long periods of time too. I had no problems with contacts in the Andes and was fine at 18,200 on Aconcagua until my brain stopped cooperating and I left my contact lense case outside of my sleeping bag one night and woke up the next day to thousands of tiny holes in my contacts created by razor-sharp ice crystals! You should be fine, just keep them moist as it is pretty dry on Denali! When ya going? We'll be up there starting May 16th. bigdrink.gif

vegetablebelay said:

And a note to Sobo and JGowans, DENALI IS HIGHER THAN RAINIER! wave.gif

Note to Vegetable. He mentioned 14,000ft. If I'm not mistaken, Raininer is 14,410ft. Btw, is Denali really higher than Rainier? Thanks for the info mate. I was planning on doing either Denali, Mt. Si, or a round-trip around Discovery Park this weekend. I think I'll stick to one lap of Greenlake.

I've heard horrible stories of the outer crusts of people's eyeballs freezing solid at altitude. However, this only applies to people who don't blink. Anybody that heads for Denali should make sure they blink.

Btw the increased oxygen permeability lenses are a pretty cool invention. An added benefit of these lenses is a slight combustion effect due to oxygen molecules that get stuck in the lense material. This generates sufficient heat to keep the surface of your eyeball nice and thawed out!

JGowas said: I was planning on doing either Denali, Mt. Si, or a round-trip around Discovery Park this weekend. I think I'll stick to one lap of Greenlake.

Careful on that Greenlake navigation on the weekends. I hear it gets pretty complex, especially if the sun's out.

wave.gif

I have found that contacts get really dry the higher I go, and as such I stick prescription glacier glasses. I know others that have had the same problems.

However, I have never heard that problems are cuased by lack of oxygen getting to the eyes. Could be, but I've never heard that is a problem.

bigdrink.gif

Thanks for the replies. I haven't heard of anynoe having problems, but wanted to know any first hand knowledge.

Dustin - They might be the Ciba Vision. They just got FDA approval for 30-day continuous wear. I'm going to ask my doctor about them.

Good tips on keeping the drops in my sleeping bag. I'll put them in the pouch with the ear plugs. I'll also start getting my eyes in shape by blinking twice as much now to keep them moist smile.gif

I have the Acuevue IIs. I got them specifically for Denali on the recommendation of my eye Dr. She did some research and dug out some stuff on some guy who'd done Everest with them.

I left mine in for a week while climbing to 18k (we didn't summit) and they were fine.