SMITH ROCK

skyclimb

student wall and the reproductive Wall. I am wondering if this area is all trad, or if routes are bolted?? Also other areas around the monument and upstream that are good bolted routes. Watts book is becoming outdated in some regards, so curious as to the bolting/sport situation in these LESS FREQUENTED areas of smith.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CANT CLIMB AROUND THE MONUMENT CUZ OF BIRDIES RIGHT NOW.

THERE ARE SOOOOOOOOO MANY NEW BOLTED ROUTES AT SMITH...MOST DECENT STONE IS NOW GRIDED....

MOST OF THE GORGE ROUTES HAVE BEEN SPARRED FROM THE BOSCH!!!

Bird closures might be affecting parts of those areas. You might check at Smith Rock.com or the parking lot kiosk will have bird closure info.

Last couple weekends we climbed around Moons of Pluto and Split Image area. Nobody there and there are some good routes.

I don't think student and reproductive wall are closed, just TFJ and the stuff further from the river. At least it isn't well marked like the rest of the closure area. Anyways saw a bunch of people climbing there a couple weekends ago. Mostly trad but I think easy to top rope.

There's a fun 3-pitch bolted route on Koala Rock. The upper two pitches (5.10a) are Thin Air and you start with Suck My Kiss (5.9) or the first pitch crack of Thin Air if you want to bring gear. The route has great position and feels almost alpine when the cold wind is blowing. I think there's some good bolted stuff over by Brogan Spire, too. Well worth the short hike.

Whatever. The "new stuff at smith" book says it's .10a, but it's referring to the new bolted line which goes 9, 10a, 10a, as I recall. We (Sloth and I, that is) didn't bring a rack because we were starting at 2:30 and were in a hurry to get back by 6 to bring back my demo shoes. So we resorted to Suck my kiss (5.9) for the first pitch. All in all, really good fun.

rolleyes.gif Watts is talking about the first crack pitch, which looks not too hard, but I haven't climbed it. If Watts says 5.9, it's probably 5.8 to Index hardman Erik.

The lil' red book sez the upper two pitches are 10a, but there are really only two hard moves: getting over the bulge to start pitch three and getting up another bulge halfway into the second pitch. You've got a bolt in your face both times.

Whatever. It's fun, go do it. snaf.gif

Ya beat me to it, Geek.

Edited by slothrop

erik said:

CANT CLIMB AROUND THE MONUMENT CUZ OF BIRDIES RIGHT NOW.

THERE ARE SOOOOOOOOO MANY NEW BOLTED ROUTES AT SMITH...MOST DECENT STONE IS NOW GRIDED....

MOST OF THE GORGE ROUTES HAVE BEEN SPARRED FROM THE BOSCH!!!

So what is the deal on the bolting and the bird situation on the west side wall. wave.gif

BIRDS MATING...CANT DISTURB THEM SO THE MONUMENT AND THREE FINGER JACK IS CLOSED.

WALK AROUND AND LOOK...THERE ARE NEW BOLTS EVERYWHERE...GUESS THEY WERE FILLIN IN THE BLANKS!

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW??