Mt. Adams Klikitat Icefall

Trav

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was thinking maybe early to mid June so maybe the snow pack would be consolidated and the nights would still be cold enough to keep most of the stuff in place. I say the route when I did Mazama glacier a couple of years ago and it looked really cool.

Too much objective danger for me! Sickle-shaped icecliff on left regularly cuts loose; The Castle is constantly dropping shit down the main body of the icefall and onto the approach. ...And then there was that huge slide in 1997.

I guess I'm just becoming a chicken shit in my old age. My tolerance for objective hazard is on its way down for some reason.

The South Klickitat Icefall looks safer and provides the same challenge IMHO. It's on my "B" list for this summer.

Hey Fairweather,

You got a link to the slide you mention?? I know there's been a couple slides in the pass couple of years. Think the USGS has printed something, somewhere?? Pretty awesome shot.

The route goes pretty quick out of the Mazama high camp. Mov'in along quickly on reasonably solid snow conditions seems to be the trick. There's a action photo on the route in the Longshadow photography studio down in Hood River (www.longshadow.com). He's got plenty of shots if you're looking for route photos. Not sure if he's got anything from last year though.

Good luck...and be sure to post a TR after your trip.

• 1 year later...

A friend and I climbed the klikitat glacier,then climbed the castle.This was in the in 1988, we climbed early in June. It was an early summer and dry. our biggest problem came when we left the castle to the west and hand to deal with creavases.We came down the Mazama. It was some of the most beautiful and remote climbing I have ever done. We climbed very early and delt with some hard ice. But not much falling.Interesting note on the way to bird creek meadows we had to register with an Indian ranger, he gave us a permit for five dollars.I think this is one of the underrated areas in Washington.Have fun and be safe.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've looked at that route many times thinking how incredibly dangerous it could be. I heard ice fall 3 times through the night while bivy’en at Sunrise. Each time it sounded like a freakin train wreck. Massive! I think years could go by without a line on that route... I'd plan a climb up the Mazama or Battlement the week before so you could recon the face. Do your homework and I'm sure it's doable. Becky did it in July I think. I have some some shots of the route from a July climb in ('97 I think), I've attached one... (same climb we heard all the ice fall)

Good Luck! Looking forward to hearing about the climb...

Mike

429758-Klick.jpg.abe220481f93b3bc03d1c3761c2de9ba.jpg

• 1 month later...
I guess I'm just becoming a chicken shit in my old age. My tolerance for objective hazard is on its way down for some reason.

The South Klickitat Icefall looks safer and provides the same challenge IMHO. It's on my "B" list for this summer.

Dude, I'm with you. Objective danger sucks. I would rather challenge my skills, not my blind luck. pitty.gif