look out in the Cdn Rockies

Dru

This is from the live-the-vision bulletin board.

Proud Canadians???????

Posted by Shawn Huisman on March 31, 2003 at 12:41:45:

I was climbing up at the Cineplex on Saturday with some friends from the States, had a great day up there. When we got back to the parking lot somebody had slashed their tires on both their cars. Each car had Washington plates on it. They left my truck with Alberta plates alone. Slashed all four on each. Went to the Crossing to phone a tow truck and found out that another car with Washington plates had it's tires slashed as well that day.

It's too bad some moron has to take their frustrations with the US out on people visiting our country. Anyhow, if your traveling from the US just be aware that there are some real idiots here, but hopefully this incident is the last. Whether you agree or disagree with this war, I think the majority of people out there would have to agree this type of action is just plain wrong. Hopefully Parks gets some leads and if you were up there and saw somebody looking alittle shady, maybe let Parks or the RCMP know.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the reciever of vandals in the Redoubt approach area. They fucked with the car a little writing hate stuff in the dirt/paint. They chopped down a big tree across the road to try and hold up our progress. I havent been the same since cry.gif

FROM THE CANMORE LEADER:

American visitors victimized by vandals

by By Pam Doyle

Reporter

Two American visitors who frequently come to Canmore were shocked to return to their vehicles after a day of climbing at the Icefields Parkway on Sunday (March 30) to find all four tires on their two vehicles had been slashed.

Roger Strong from Seattle, Wash. and his friend Blair Williams were climbing with Canmore climber Sean Isaac, a friend who they meet up with in Canada to enjoy outdoor sports.

“I was really shocked,” Strong said. “I never had an incident like that happen to me before in Canada. There are lots of assholes in the U.S., but it is rare to have that happen here. I love Canada.”

The two men filled out a police report at the Lake Louise RCMP detachment upon their return. Williams’ Honda Civic and Strong’s Ford Expedition were towed on flatbed trailers back to Canmore.

When they took their vehicles into Ben’s Tire in Canmore to have the rubber replaced, they found out another American climber, Chris Minerva, who was climbing Belfour Wall further south on the Parkway, also had all four tires on his vehicle slashed.

“I felt bad for them,” Isaac said. “They were bummed, and the tires are expensive to replace. They weren’t bitter though. They knew it was a random act. A cowardly act.”

Ben’s Tire gave the men a 35 percent discount on the tires and free labour.

“I think what happened to them was real sh____,” said Ben Fink, the business’s owner. “We need those kinds of people, (Williams and Strong) in Canmore. We don’t need them going back to the States saying this happened to them. I had lots of calls from local businesses giving their (moral) support. Some local businesses donated money, (about $50) towards their bill.”

The generous business owners have not been identified.

“I was kind of embarrassed for my friends,” Isaac said. “It was obviously probably a Canadian who slashed the tires. Roger comes up here three times a year and says he just loves it up here.”

Strong said it was a weird thing to happen.

“It’s disappointing for people to be so shallow and behave like that,” Strong said. “They probably thought we were supporting the war. I think the war is really bad. As much as Saddam is an evil person, I think the people who are oppressed should step up to the bat. I think the war is about the oil to a point. The U.S. thinks we’re police for the whole flippin’ world.”

The Canmore RCMP maintain the tire slashing incidents were random and do not suspect any connection to animosity towards the U.S.

“Most of the time vandalism is not targeted but it’s hard to tell people that,” said Cpl. Pauline Larrey-King. “It’s not until we can catch someone, and determine that this was their motive.”

Police have no suspects to date but are still investigating.

The two men from Washington work as seasonal crab fishermen in Alaska.

“It’s a great break from climbing,” Strong said. “And climbing is a great break from fishing.”

Strong and Williams plan to finish their climbing trip and they were planning to return to the same parking lot and same climbing route on Tuesday (April 1). They said they would ride there in a friend’s car, one with Alberta plates.

“We’re going up to the same place tomorrow to do a new route,” Strong said on Monday night. “We’ll be here two more days and then I’m meeting my wife in Skaha climbing area in Pentiction, B.C. to climb there for two to three days.”

Strong has an idea that might deter future vandals.

“I bought a maple leaf sticker and put it on my car,” Strong said. “Maybe that will help.”

• 1 month later...