Checking out the Coe

Crackman

Pete (MtnHigh) and I took advantage of the weather on Sunday to do a little recon up on the north side of Hood. cool.gif We left the trailhead at 7am and found a nice packed trail up to Tilly Jane -- slogged the rest of the way with minimal postholing. We reached the base of the Coe Ice Fall approx. 8,100ft around noon. Most of the Elliot and Coe was packed pretty well with snow (see below). On the way back down we found some exposed ice on the Elliot to play on. Was nice to be up on the mountain again.

Oh yeah, I also found out Pete is an endurance maniac. He obviously wasn't getting enough exercise breaking trail most of the way. So when he found a nice heavy rock he wanted for his collection, he tossed it in his pack on the way UP confused.gif.

Some photos from the day...

Or see them all at Ofoto Link

From the Cooper Spur Ridge

71759419205_0_ALB.jpg

Coe IF

34660519205_0_ALB.jpg

94660519205_0_ALB.jpg

74660519205_0_ALB.jpg

Go Pete Go! Honest, no camera exageration on the angle

51759419205_0_ALB.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crackman said:

Oh yeah, I also found out Pete is an endurance maniac. He obviously wasn't getting enough exercise breaking trail most of the way. So when he found a nice heavy rock he wanted for his collection, he tossed it in his pack on the way UP confused.gif

Nice guys ... look great. Glad to hear Tim found out about Pete's slight of hand trick and carried his rocks for him the whole way. yellaf.gif

wayne1112 said:

I have always thought the greatest route in Oregon would have to be the Coe-Eliot Headwall- link up. I also think it hasnt been done in a single push. I am throwing you all a frickin bone here. Grade 4-5?

Tim and I were thinking the same thing while sitting on the east morraine of the Coe looking up at the two routes. It would be a long burly climb. Bring it on man!

Ivan,

With all the snow all the N face routes are much less technical. I'd say the going would've been slow -- sinking quite a bit with each step kicked. There were occasional areas where we traveled that were hard enough to warrant crampons -- I'd guess you might find more neve higher up on the steeps.

Avi danger might be the limiting factor. Depending on how fast the snow stabilizes after this next big dump is over.

I'm eager to get back up there too!!!