Effect of War on Moustaches

Dru

All the Iraqi have them. Do you think its gonna wreck the moustache fashion trend that was taking off in North America? Paco, you gonna shave yours off or what?

A moustache looks so right with a mullet. Its like a shotgun and a pickup. pitty.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the seventies, my Dad had a contract in Saudi Arabia. He went to visit for a couple weeks and came back with a moustache (note the spelling). I was a teenager at the time and had never before seen him with a moustache. He said he felt wierd in Saudi being the only clean shaven guy around. After while he shaved it off.

Do I have to call you out on every one of your posts Catturd?

That hairy ornament you can grow above your stiff upper lip can be spelled moustache or mustache. Although, I think the former is the French version, whose language use, as we know, is currently faux pas (oops, faux pas is also faux pas). Damn! grin.gif

Moustaches can be a big thing in the Middle East. I once met a guy named "Abu Shanab"....father of moustache...and he had a big one too (moustache). In the Old City section of Jerusalem, there used to be (still is?) a popular restaurant called "Uncle Moustache".

An American friend of mine with whom I worked with in Egypt had a funny command of the Arabic language. One of his contrived "ice-breakers" with the locals was to ask the question, "Eh loonoo shanabak?", which means, "what color is your moustache?" During the many times that I witnessed him asking the question, no one ever seemed to care if it was an odd thing to ask. They usually answered directly with a color, such as "brown", etc. or sometimes they would discuss it a bit before choosing the color they thought was most accurate.

I was warned, though, that the question had to be pronounced properly because the change of a certain vowel makes it feminine (i.e. what color is the moustache of YOU (man) or YOU (female).....the latter which neither a man wants to hear NOR does a woman.

Myself, the moustache I currently sport was obtained during my first scientific expedition to a remote desert area of Egypt in the summer of '81. I had a baby face and it was something I did to try to look older. It's coming off soon, though.

- Dwayner bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Dwayner said:

I was warned, though, that the question had to be pronounced properly because the change of a certain vowel makes it feminine (i.e. what color is the moustache of YOU (man) or YOU (female).....the latter which neither a man wants to hear NOR does a woman.

Moustaches on women are a whole other story... hellno3d.gif