A GOOD SPEACH

Dave_Schuldt

Arrogance of Power

Today, I Weep for my Country...

by US Senator Robert Byrd

Speech delivered on the floor of the US Senate

March 19, 2003 3:45pm

I believe in this beautiful country. I have studied its roots and gloried in the wisdom of its magnificent Constitution. I have marveled at the wisdom of its founders and framers. Generation after generation of Americans has understood the lofty ideals that underlie our great Republic. I have been inspired by the story of their sacrifice and their strength.

But, today I weep for my country. I have watched the events of recent months with a heavy, heavy heart. No more is the image of America one of strong, yet benevolent peacekeeper. The image of America has changed. Around the globe, our friends mistrust us, our word is disputed, our intentions are questioned.

Instead of reasoning with those with whom we disagree, we demand obedience or threaten recrimination. Instead of isolating Saddam Hussein, we seem to have isolated ourselves. We proclaim a new doctrine of preemption which is understood by few and feared by many. We say that the United States has the right to turn its firepower on any corner of the globe which might be suspect in the war on terrorism. We assert that right without the sanction of any international body. As a result, the world has become a much more dangerous place.

We flaunt our superpower status with arrogance. We treat UN Security Council members like ingrates who offend our princely dignity by lifting their heads from the carpet. Valuable alliances are split.

After war has ended, the United States will have to rebuild much more than the country of Iraq. We will have to rebuild America's image around the globe.

The case this Administration tries to make to justify its fixation with war is tainted by charges of falsified documents and circumstantial evidence. We cannot convince the world of the necessity of this war for one simple reason. This is a war of choice.

There is no credible information to connect Saddam Hussein to 9/11. The twin towers fell because a world-wide terrorist group, Al Qaeda, with cells in over 60 nations, struck at our wealth and our influence by turning our own planes into missiles, one of which would likely have slammed into the dome of this beautiful Capitol except for the brave sacrifice of the passengers on board.

The brutality seen on September 11th and in other terrorist attacks we have witnessed around the globe are the violent and desperate efforts by extremists to stop the daily encroachment of western values upon their cultures. That is what we fight. It is a force not confined to borders. It is a shadowy entity with many faces, many names, and many addresses.

But, this Administration has directed all of the anger, fear, and grief which emerged from the ashes of the twin towers and the twisted metal of the Pentagon towards a tangible villain, one we can see and hate and attack. And villain he is. But, he is the wrong villain. And this is the wrong war. If we attack Saddam Hussein, we will probably drive him from power. But, the zeal of our friends to assist our global war on terrorism may have already taken flight.

The general unease surrounding this war is not just due to "orange alert." There is a pervasive sense of rush and risk and too many questions unanswered. How long will we be in Iraq? What will be the cost? What is the ultimate mission? How great is the danger at home?

A pall has fallen over the Senate Chamber. We avoid our solemn duty to debate the one topic on the minds of all Americans, even while scores of thousands of our sons and daughters faithfully do their duty in Iraq.

What is happening to this country? When did we become a nation which ignores and berates our friends? When did we decide to risk undermining international order by adopting a radical and doctrinaire approach to using our awesome military might? How can we abandon diplomatic efforts when the turmoil in the world cries out for diplomacy?

Why can this President not seem to see that America's true power lies not in its will to intimidate, but in its ability to inspire?

War appears inevitable. But, I continue to hope that the cloud will lift. Perhaps Saddam will yet turn tail and run. Perhaps reason will somehow still prevail. I along with millions of Americans will pray for the safety of our troops, for the innocent civilians in Iraq, and for the security of our homeland. May God continue to bless the United States of America in the troubled days ahead, and may we somehow recapture the vision which for the present eludes us.

Seems as if we have squandered all the good will and sympathy after 9/11

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There may not be a link between Saddam and 9/11, but that is not the issue here: there is an obvious link between Saddam developing and storing up weapons of mass destruction and his on-going hatred for America. He has been building up weapons and funding sneaky little projects since Gulf War I but we let it slide because we didn't think he could hurt our homeland. 9/11 is proof to both Saddam and America that weapons and plots can be used very effectively against us in our homeland. Given time he would surely have struck us in a similar or more devastating manner to 9/11, that is why we can no longer tolerate his presence. While war should always be the last resort in a conflict between countries, diplomacy is pretty much a waste of time with Saddam: we already had as much control over him in a non military sense through the 90's as was possible. War was the only option to disarm him.

I detest Bush and his idiotic speechs, and I feel he could have handled the UN quite a bit more effectively, but I support this war and I think our military is doing a great job of protecting civilian life in Iraq while destroying Saddam's regime.

If you do not support the war and the politicians at least support the troops who are over there making sacrifices to protect us: they don't make the decisions but they do all the work. Nothing is more sick than the video clips of people spitting on Vietnam vets as they returned home and I hope that doesn't happen ever again, no matter what the conflict is.

"Telavision, the drug of the nation, breeding ignorence and spewin radiation. --Micheal Franti"

www.dictionary.com smirk.gif

Hey Dave,

You do know that Robert Byrd was a grand wizard in the KKK don't you? I find it kind of odd that a good liberal like you would tolerate a guy like that. Check this out.

ps. what are all you whining bleeding hearts gonna do when it turns out all the mean spirited, war mongering, conservatives were right all along about this war? .. oh nevermind, you folks are never any good with reality.

jja said:

when it turns out all the mean spirited, war mongering, conservatives were right all along about this war?

what parameters will be used to define that? if we uncover a vast nuclear arsenal with launching facilities to threaten the united states as first strike I will be happy to eat crow and say we were right all along.

iain said:

jja said:

when it turns out all the mean spirited, war mongering, conservatives were right all along about this war?

what parameters will be used to define that? if we uncover a vast nuclear arsenal with launching facilities to threaten the united states as first strike I will be happy to eat crow and say we were right all along.

How about when (notice I didn't say if) we find 3 tons of Vx nerve gas?

There would never be launching facilities. That would be far to difficult for the Iraqis to obtain with everyone looking over their shoulders.

If Saddam had plans to deliver a nuclear, chem or bio strike against us it would have made use of our open borders and the ease with which such weapons can be brought into our country. It could be about to go off right now. That's what this is about, not the potential for ICBMs coming from Iraq (pretty unlikely).

and I feel he could have handled the UN quite a bit more effectively

Hey NxN,

explain to me how any diplomatic efforts could have persuaded France to vote our way. During the negotiations for 1441 DeVillipan told Powell to his face that France would support a war if Iraq refused to comply. Powell believed him, DeVillipan was lying.

Schroeder (a teenage communist with ties to the red brigades) used anti-war rhetoric in the german national elections in a cynical ploy to win reelection. It was a Dick Morris-like triangulation effort, attempting to peel off enough support from the communist remnants in the east to ensure victory. Like all cynical ploys they don't work for long and his party has since lost huge in mid term elections.

So, what policy, what diplomatic effort could have possibly convinced the unconvincable to support us at the UN?

(Completely leaving aside the question of why so many people think we should subordinate our security to this body)

AlpineK said:

trask said:

I just heard Navy Seals uncovered 100,000 lbs. of Hashish hidden in 32 warheads. I knew that fucker Saddam was holdin' out. cry.gif

God dam it they better share. mushsmile.gif

GW is sending over a special envoy to retrieve the goods to bring back to Camp David for analysis. eye.gif

trask said:

AlpineK said:

trask said:

I just heard Navy Seals uncovered 100,000 lbs. of Hashish hidden in 32 warheads. I knew that fucker Saddam was holdin' out. cry.gif

GW is sending over a special envoy to retrieve the goods to bring back to Camp David for analysis.

Maybe they should send it to the Muir Hut. I'll make the trip up. mushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif

My point is that Bush comes off more than just a little bit blunt and scary to foriegn leaders (and quite a few Americans). Obviously the French were more than a little untrue, but I think a more articulate and well spoken leader could have dealt with the UN in a way that would have given us more world support in this war.

Bush and Fleischer come off with an aire of superiority and cockiness that is not good in any world leader and that scares people. Bush's background and blunt speeches also smack of empire building to many who see them-not good when you're trying to build support for a war.

AlpineK said:

trask said:

AlpineK said:

trask said:

GW is sending over a special envoy to retrieve the goods to bring back to Camp David for analysis.

Maybe they sould send it to the Muir Hut. I'll make the trip up. mushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif

They considered just that, but heard rumers that Hans-Scot'teryx might be at the hut pestering the uninitiated.

AlpineK said:

trask said:

AlpineK said:

trask said:

Maybe they sould send it to the Muir Hut. I'll make the trip up. mushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif

If you go tomorrow, would it be "Muir on Saturday" the_finger.gif

A very good speech indeed, and I care not if it came from a former KKK member. We will be the worse off for this war. There is no doubt in my mind.

George Bush is a dictator like Saddam Hussein. I only hope he is willing to take his sorry ass back to Texas when we vote him out of office.

The founders of this country were wary of "foreign entanglements". They saw all the intrigues wars of the French and British of the sixteenth century as something we should avoid.

In the two hundred years since we have only been dragged reluctantly into war. Only when it was forced upon us and with our allies begging us did we enter the two world wars. Now we go out looking for a fight.

George Bush is a dictator like Saddam Hussein.

Dude you're a fuckin clueless loser. Language has meaning. Words have consequences. Have you ever read Orwell? Do you know the difference between hyperbole and self delusional insanity?

I bet all you lunatic, america hating, pot smoking, hippies wake up every morning, look in the mirror and say:

Bush is a dictator.

Ashcroft is a Nazi.

America is a terrorist nation.

blah, blah, blah.

It might make your drug addled brain feel better but it doesn't make it true. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif