Plastic boots

sexual_chocolate

Hey, you all seem like a really knowledgeable bunch, so please help me out. I saw the following for sale, for the following prices. Any opinions?

Koflach Degree-$160 and Vertical-$181

Asolo Guide-$163 and Evolution-$154

All are new, and what I want them for is general cold-weather mountaineering, and maybe some ice-climbing. Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by sexual chocolate:
What do you mean, "you get what you pay for"? Are these not good boots for what I want them for? And what would you recommend?

They are good boots. What are you using them for? To say something like McKinley or that sort well then I would not know... You should be a little more descriptive.

quote:

I don't know, Captain, all-around alpine stuff. Maybe a winter ascent of Rainier, some ice climbing, maybe even some mixed stuff. Hopefully, one boot will work for all of that....

I have never climbed Rainier in winter. I use an older model of Koflach that works fine for everything myself including ice climbing and hill walkers alps in the summer. I never have mixed climbed.

quote:

I don't know, Captain, all-around alpine stuff. Maybe a winter ascent of Rainier, some ice climbing, maybe even some mixed stuff. Hopefully, one boot will work for all of that....

I find TWO boots works a lot better than one, ya one-legged moondancer! tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:
I picked down yo' goathomey dere and stole ha' mumy den dumped ha' out on de bridge. What it is, Mama! ah' stole mah' boots fum some wasted kinyucka' bitch. Right On!

The Bridge of the 23 Camels?

MMMm those Lillooet girls, they braid their armpit hairso pretty, if there was five or six of them together they might have a full set of teeth between them, sort of like Tacoma girls with class. rolleyes.gif" border="0

S.C.,You will not find any one pair of boots to suit all of your needs. General summer mountaineering plastic boots such as the Koflach Degree are certainly the most versatile for climbs like Rainier or similar. But add a dry approach more than, say two miles and your feet might become hamburger. The Degrees would probably be OK for a winter trip up Rainier but your feet might get a bit cold. The Arctis Expe ($$$$) would be a lot warmer, and essential for an Alaska climb.

If you go into the North Cascades or Olympics you'll need a leather mountain boot if you don't wish to carry BOTH a light hiker and plastic boots.

There is no one boot that covers all types of mountain terrain. I own/recommend:

light hiking= One Sport Moraine

general mountaineering w/long approach=La Sportiva K2.

mountaineering=LaSportiva Nepal Extreme (leather,expensive) or Koflach Degree(I dont own)

winter mountaineering=Koflach Arctis Expe

For a general summer mountaineering boot I really like the La Sportiva Eiger. When my K2's finally wear out (like they're about to) these are what I'll replace them with. About $275.

Remember this: Koflachs fit BIG, Asolo's fit narrow. Leather will break in width, but not legnth.

Hey Charlie, www.barrabes.com has the boots at the prices I listed.

And thanks for the info, Danielpatricksmith, fairweather, and the others! I think though, that because of the difficulty I am having in making a decision, I'll be taking up barefoot beach-walking in Hawaii instead, or just buy plastics for Mt. Si, and be done with it. Simpler this way. Har!

muchas gracias- I will be ordering the vertical once I try them on at REI. Has anyone ordered from these guys before(barrabes)? Any complications? My input on boots- I wear my la sportiva makalu or 5.10 mountain master on alpine climbs, and my shitty old koflachs (think flourescent green)on ice, rainer, and winter climbs. Looks like this winter I'll be sportin' my new verticals: I'll be gettin all the honeys now! wink.gif" border="0

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Charlie ]

Ok, a serious reply. I got the Verticals and love them. They climb great for plastics and are Ok on alpine rock especially on tiny edges (smearing, un-uh - they are plastics remember). I find them better/more comfortable for hiking in than Scarpa freney's actually (my Freneys aint fully broken in yet tho). Walk around in wet snow for 16 hrs and feet stay dry and warm, best thing about em. Can be easy to scratch up the inner pulling it in & out of the outer so unless you have to dry them leave it in all the time. I heard Degres are not as good for steep ice either alpine or waterfall, because the shell is a bit more flexible, but I never tried them so can't say.

Also with the bumblebee-yellow Verticals you get to be a swingin man of mystery like Conrad Anker!!

Just a note on Barrabes - I've ordered both a pair of boots and some ice gear from them, and on both occaisions I had the gear at my door in 5 days or less courtesy of DHL. I'd recommend them to anyone - Let's just hope that they continue shipping to the US!

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
MMMm those Lillooet girls, they braid their armpit hairso pretty, if there was five or six of them together they might have a full set of teeth between them, sort of like Tacoma girls with class.
rolleyes.gif" border="0

When Tacoma girls say they got class, they mean the WHOLE class.