First Disabled Ascent of Mt. Everest - Free Slide Show

The_North_Face

An evening with Angela Hawse, Deputy Leader of the "1998 Everest Challenge."

Wednesday, November 7, 2001, 7:00 PMThe North Face ... 1023 1st Ave, Seattle(206) 622-4111

On May 27, 1998, Tom Whittaker reached the 29,035-foot summit of Mt. Everest. The uniqueness of Mr. Whittaker's achievement is not only that he successfully made the summit, but to recognize that he is an amputee; the first amputee to summit Mt. Everest. Angela Hawse will narrate and show slides of this fantastic achievement that demonstrates that believing in our dreams, anything is possible.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by The North Face:
Angela Hawse will narrate and show slides of this fantastic achievement that demonstrates that believing in our dreams, anything is possible....

...if we have enough money and big-ticket sponsors to put together an "expedition" and siege and fix ropes and use oxygen and blah-blah-blah.

Personally I think the Erik Wiehenmayer/Hugh Herr/Mark wellman ascent of Ancient Art was about 10 times more inspiring but that is just me. I'm still waiting for the first sufferer of Frogmorton's Syndrome shocked.gif" border="0 to summit the Big E.

Come on Dru! I think that you are sandbaging the real challenge here... clearly, with enough money the most difficult thing is to come up with another "first".

I belive that this coming season the first Tuesday ascent by a natural red headed 32 year old female impersonator, will attempt the dreaded moondance on the summit....now thats something I want to see.

The next ascent of Everest will be achieved by piling up a mound of "Everest Literature" and motivational speakers who think that climbing Everest makes them and what they have to say interesting, and steeping DOWN onto the summit of Everest from the top of the trash heap.

And I think that clearly Rheinhold Messner's ascent was the first disabled ascent of Everest. If you read anything that guy has written you will see he is suffering from some sort of bizarre mental condition: "I went to the Himalayas and saw the Yeti. Then I ran for the European Parliament!" grin.gif" border="0

Why do we need to say that one disabled climb is more inspirational than another? It is definitely impressive and inspirational that those folks climbed that bizarre sandstone spire, but that shouldn't diminish what Whittaker did.

Sure, he probably used seige tactics and had guides and sherpas, and I'm assuming he even used bottled O2 (!) -- but the fact is that what he accomplished is nonetheless extraordinary. The climb is not significant because it was the FIRST -- it's significant because he was able to CLIMB THE HIGHEST MTN IN THE WORLD WITHOUT THE USE OF A LIMB.

My grandmother just had a leg amputated, and will have the other leg amputated in a few weeks due to poor circulation -- and I would like to believe that stories such as Whittaker's can provide inspiration for amputees to accomplish incredible things despite their disabilities.

I'm not suggesting that my grandma will be summitting K2 anytime soon, however.

Some things are definitely more inspirational than others, sad but true. Take Whittaker's ascent. would it have been as inspiring if he was missing a hand instead of a foot? OK then how about missing a finger instead of a foot? Little finger vs,. index finger vs. thumb? What if he was missing both legs below the knee(like Hugh Herr) instead of one foot? What if he had soloed it without oxygen with the disability he has?

The inspiration comes not just from the accomplishment but from the style with which it was performed. If some quadraplegic was carried to the summit by Sherpas, it would be a "disabled ascent", but how inspiring would it be?

The thing that I like about the Ancient Art ascent is the way the three of them were able to work as a team and overlap their capabilities for a successful ascent.

And my gripe about the Slideshow advertised above is that it is motivational Everest hype pure and simple, USING Whittakers disability as a shill to suck you in and tap your $$$$. The slide show itself is "free" but the point is to hype the Sponsors. "Puffy Wipe - just like we used on Everist hyest in the WURLD!!!"

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Dru ]

Aw man, that's pretty harsh? It's cool to have slideshows posted on the board, but noone will do it if we always bite their heads off. Plus I think it's pretty amazing that guy did climb Everest, siege or not. And you're going in the wrong direction with the missing body parts, the really interesting question is how many prosthetics are you *allowed* to have on a cool Everest climb. Or bioengineering, even better, say, if Cpt. has a brain transplant with a yeti and moves to the summit of Everest, is it cool or is he just a loser who had a brain transplant with a yeti and lives on the top of the world?

Oops, just realized I've never really posted to one of those threads-on-fire. Bet I just set myself up for a good flaming. Bring on those napalm hoses! BTW where do you go to get a cheap bolt kit these days? Cheers/stebbi

quote:

Originally posted by lambone:
Angela rocks! She's way burlier than any of you fools.
tongue.gif" border="0

Oh and Dru, TNF doesn't need some slideshow to get "hype". They have a new Electric Blanket Coat!
grin.gif" border="0

And the TNF edition SUV!! creating global warming and destroying the market for their electric coats... confused.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by lambone:
Angela rocks! She's way burlier than any of you fools.
tongue.gif" border="0

Oh and Dru, TNF doesn't need some slideshow to get "hype". They have a new Electric Blanket Coat!
grin.gif" border="0

I just asked who she was Lammy. I noticed your renewed sense of passively agressively lashing out on me and Dru recently...... Chill.

Relax dawg I'm just playin'

(FYI- the face with the little tounge that sticks out hints that a remark may be some what sarcastic by nature, or at least not all that serious grin.gif" border="0 )

Angela was part of the expidition team, allthough I am not sure what her role was... Anyway she got pretty high on the mountain.

It should be a cool slide show, too bad I'll be in class frown.gif" border="0

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: lambone ]