pope

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

COL._Von_Spanker said:

I've explained this to some of you, but I'll explain it again.

THE GYM IS TO OUTDOOR CLIMBING AS STRIP CLUBS ARE TO REAL SEX.

The Gym/strip clubs are all fine and good, enjoyable in their own way, relatively safe but doin the real thing is so much better. smileysex5.gif

BEAUTIFUL MAN>>> THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL (snif) braught a tear to my eye and all wink.gif

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

RuMR said:

Peter Croft keeps his opinions to himself and wouldn't be caught dead spraying like you and dwayner did...

To paraphrase a politician (scary) "you, sir, are no peter croft"...

And, there are many well rounded climbers that will kick your ass in any domain, be it bolts, soloing, crax, etc.

So why the attitude? That is what everyone is responding too (at least me)...you think you're better than someone who clips bolts? Why?

And you, sir, can't seem to find an appropriate place to adopt a clever quote. Not once did I imply that I compare to Peter Croft (although perhaps more favorably than you).

You are such a dork. You answer Dwayner's assertion that bolting and sport climbing is ethically dubious by questioning his competence, as if to imply (as many people have) that those who oppose bolts are less than competent and, therefore, their opinions don't matter. I counter by saying that I oppose bolts and am fairly competent (while trying to be modest), and then you suggest that I think I am "better than somebody who clips bolts." Then you remind me that you know somebody who can climb better than I. Well, my dad can beat up your dad.

Peter Croft has been very vocal about sport climbing, both verbally and by the statement made in his bold approach to climbing.

pope said:

RuMR said:

Peter Croft keeps his opinions to himself and wouldn't be caught dead spraying like you and dwayner did...

And, there are many well rounded climbers that will kick your ass in any domain, be it bolts, soloing, crax, etc.

So why the attitude? That is what everyone is responding too (at least me)...you think you're better than someone who clips bolts? Why?

And you, sir, can't seem to find an appropriate place to adopt a clever quote. Not once did I imply that I compare to Peter Croft (although perhaps more favorably than you).

You are such a dork. You answer Dwayner's assertion that bolting and sport climbing is ethically dubious by questioning his competence, as if to imply (as many people have) that those who oppose bolts are less than competent and, therefore, their opinions don't matter. I counter by saying that I oppose bolts and am fairly competent (while trying to be modest), and then you suggest that I think I am "better than somebody who clips bolts." Then you remind me that you know somebody who can climb better than I. Well, my dad can beat up your dad.

Peter Croft has been very vocal about sport climbing, both verbally and by the statement made in his bold approach to climbing.

Peter Croft bolts cracks in the Owens River gorge. hellno3d.gifhellno3d.gifmadgo_ron.gif

RuMR -

Pope is constantly proclaiming his talents and achievements. One indication that one is on its way is a comment such as " I'm not much into boasting." The fun thing is he is at the ready to spray about his achievements. Ring a bell and he'll start salivating. Check out some old threads. You'll see that at even the slightest provocation he'll boast.

PP

Dru said:

pope said:

RuMR said:

Peter Croft bolts cracks in the Owens River gorge. hellno3d.gifhellno3d.gifmadgo_ron.gif

That's not real rock.

Peter_Puget said:

RuMR -

Pope is constantly proclaiming his talents and achievements. One indication that one is on its way is a comment such as " I'm not much into boasting." The fun thing is he is at the ready to spray about his achievements. Ring a bell and he'll start salivating. Check out some old threads. You'll see that at even the slightest provocation he'll boast.

PP

PP

At least I'm not cruising the bouldering pit for chicken.

Peter_Puget said:

RuMR -

PP

Hey, dammit! That's DFA's M.O.!

pope said:

Dru said:

pope said:

RuMR said:

That's not real rock.

neither is smith or vantage! yellaf.gif

I am not trading insults. I am presenting my own opinions in a cogent and logical fashion. This didn't start out as an ethical discussion. Part of my problem with this whole gym/ sport thing is that some of us don't particularly like our version of climbing being thrown in with the Trad. It ain't all the same. We do what we do because we like it and in fact wethink it's better. (Gym climbing I believe, is morally superior to all other forms of climbing because it does not dergade the environment. Sport climbing is much less encumbered by equipment and technology than trad climbing thus it is a purer form of climbing. Bouldering of course rules the universe) In the words of a classic bumper-sticker: "Sore - Loserman" So go self-deprecate yourself (or on your own sleeping bag) if you like. You wanna talk ethics....start another discussion.

Quote:

You are such a dork. You answer Dwayner's assertion that bolting and sport climbing is ethically dubious by questioning his competence, as if to imply (as many people have) that those who oppose bolts are less than competent and, therefore, their opinions don't matter. I counter by saying that I oppose bolts and am fairly competent (while trying to be modest), and then you suggest that I think I am "better than somebody who clips bolts."

Ok..., poop is this not bringing abilities into it? Dwayner was first to bring abilities into it...not me, dfa , or anyone...and I'll admit YOUR post didn't mention ability...but when some idiot starts bringing up ability, then its all fair game, now isn't it?

Dwayner's 1st Post:

Sport-climbing gear issues: difficult decisions required in deciding whether to clip the bolt at your knees, the one in front of your nose, or the one alongside the nearby crack.

Gym-climbing issue: confronting the fact that climbing a "5.11" your first week in a gym does not mean you are a "5.11" climber anywhere.

Sport-climbing issue: accepting the revelation that hang-dogging and rehearsing your way up a 5.13 sport route doesn't make you a 5.10 trad-master.

So...like it or not, his climbing ability was brought into the discussion by himself and is fair game. If you read my posts, you're ability or lack of wasn't mentioned at all...was it??

And what exactly was your point in bringing up Croft? To defend your attempt at humor? WEAK! Why don't you try another name drop...How bout Kauk? How bout Potter? What do they have to do w/ anything regarding a stud in a hole in a rock??? NOTHING...

Croft sportclimbs, crack climbs, solos whatever...he does it all and doesn't lose much sleep over style and what not, he just lets others live the way they want to and doesn't give it a second thought...but you guys, sheeesh, you've made it the cornerstone of almost every post i've read by you...NoW...the one point i will give you, is that not everything should be bolted...its kinda crazy to hike into the boonies for an alpine adventure and find a sport route in the middle of nowhere...but come on, some place like owens? or smith? What is the problem???

Oh...and "dork", that's especially ripe...i'm sooo impressed...you actually got a tear outta me... yelrotflmao.gif

pope said:

cracked said:

Dwayner, you didn't answer my question. Why are you so ready to preach and unwilling to back up your arguments? I'm not trying to antagonize, I'm am simply curious. Sure, people say that how good a climber you are doesn't matter, but it does. Most of us respect the experts in any given field more than the hacks. If you only refute people's assumtions about your abilities and refuse to prove them wrong, everybody will assume it's because you can't back up your words. So what are the climbs that you are most proud of?

I'm not much into boasting, my son, but let's just say there's a good chance I've free-soloed pitches that your average sport rat couldn't on-sight with a top rope. There are some incredibly competent climbers who feel like bolts are a trashy intrusion on the mountain environment, as well as evidence of a cowardly approach to mountaineering. Maybe Pete Croft could be your role model.

Hey, nice side-step. As embarrassing as it might be, I for one am rather curious as to what exactly are these routes you have soloed-you know, the ones most sportos couldn't flash with a top-rope? Names, please.

Another curiosity arises: The question about difficulty was addressed to dwayner....

pope said:

I'm not much into boasting, my son, but let's just say there's a good chance I've free-soloed pitches that your average sport rat couldn't on-sight with a top rope.

As much as it pains me to say it, this is probably more true than false.... madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

How come none of the guardians of the old-school ethic took issue with the following statement:

Alpine climbing starts with good sport climbing background. Hey champ, if you can’t hang on to a 5.10 or a 5.11 clip up at the crag, how can you hang-on on vertical mixed pitch? How fast can you send 5.11 or 12, have you ever done 5.13, how about 14? Sport climbing builds strength, strength gives confidence, confidence gives speed and speed IS safety. I don’t say you’ll be able to start cranking hard alpine routes right away, but it is the necessary step every climber has to take.

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that cpb could probably shut down just about anyone who posts on this board on any medium be it trad, sport, ice, mixed or what have you - does it?

Just wondering.

JayB said:

How come none of the guardians of the old-school ethic took issue with the following statement:

Alpine climbing starts with good sport climbing background. Hey champ, if you can’t hang on to a 5.10 or a 5.11 clip up at the crag, how can you hang-on on vertical mixed pitch? How fast can you send 5.11 or 12, have you ever done 5.13, how about 14? Sport climbing builds strength, strength gives confidence, confidence gives speed and speed IS safety. I don’t say you’ll be able to start cranking hard alpine routes right away, but it is the necessary step every climber has to take.

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that cpb could probably shut down just about anyone who posts on this board on any medium be it trad, sport, ice, mixed or what have you - does it?

Just wondering.

Bob was my roomate for a year and a half in bend...He doesn't climb super hard sport or bouldering, but he DOES use it for training and climbs competently in all disciplines...and is pointing out the fact that everyone up here argues semantics instead of putting stuff down...

This is thread drift though wink.gif...and drift on such a serious topic as this ( rolleyes.gif) is NOT to be tolerated!! We are very busy slamming each other...so slam or get outta da way!!! hahaha.gif