Stowing pickets

CraigA

So what is the easiest way to stow a picket when your climbing second on a route where your placing a running belay? I've tried to come up with a way of doing it that doesn't require me to take off my backpack, but so far the best I can come up with still requires taking one shoulder out of the packstrap. Is this what you do? confused.gifDo you have some clever setup that allows you to reach up and slide the picket into its slot in your pack? Is there a pack that enables this better than others?

Just wondering. blush.gif

Craig

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mattp said:

I do as suggested above, clipping a biner somewhere above the middle hole, but instead of putting them on my harness I usually clip them to my pack strap.

I've clipped to my shoulder strap and to the harness. Both work. Make sure you actually clip it to your shoulder strap though. I lost a locker down the chute on Shucksan a couple years ago 'cause I thought I clipped it to my shoulder strap but actually got my waist belt. It fell down the route when I took my pack off... frown.gif

ehmmic said:

mattp said:

I do as suggested above, clipping a biner somewhere above the middle hole, but instead of putting them on my harness I usually clip them to my pack strap.

I've clipped to my shoulder strap and to the harness. Both work. Make sure you actually clip it to your shoulder strap though. I lost a locker down the chute on Shucksan a couple years ago 'cause I thought I clipped it to my shoulder strap but actually got my waist belt. It fell down the route when I took my pack off... frown.gif

BOOTY CALL!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

if you have a wand/ski pocket on the side, slip it thru the compression strap on the side and down into the wand pocket. i can do it without taking the pack off but i had to practice.

better yet, climb with your pack open slightly, with the top pocket stuffed down into the body of the pocket, and just stick the picket down into body of the pack.