New Cascade Ice Climbing Guidebook - Online and Free!

Kyle M

Initial release of the new Cascade Ice Climbing guidebook!!! https://cascade-ice.com/.

A few weeks ago, I shared a list of obscure alpine ice climbs in Washington. It was met with a surprising amount of enthusiasm. @DPS, who has climbed many of these routes himself, reached out to me about turning the list into a true online guidebook. So I went out (more like hunkered in my room) and built us a website. It includes detailed route descriptions, caltopo approach maps, and tons of great photos. Currently, we only have 8 awesome routes up, mostly just routes I've done, but we hope to have 20+ routes by next winter!
We're still early on in the development of this site, so I welcome feedback / advice. If you have info/pictures for a specific route you'd like to see here, we might be able to work together to get it up!
To follow along with updates, new routes added, follow our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Cascade-Ice-106832897688029/.
And for the computer nerds out there, yes, our code is open source and you can check it out here: https://github.com/Washington-Ice-Climbing/ice-conditions-map.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I would be happy to share beta on the Icicle and Tumwater canyons.  Mostly, we locals don't bother to document/publicize our routes because we believe other climbers might enjoy the feel of climbing undocumented routes -- the feel of a "first ascent".  However, we also recognize that not every climber has the time and resources to get the most out of "adventure climbing".  Some folks really do need to know where and what a climb is.  So, we're willing to share the wealth.  True, some of you will miss out on the "adventure" feature, but many will be happy to know of the many little-known and perfectly accessible venues out there.

-Haireball

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 6:37 PM, montypiton said:

I would be happy to share beta on the Icicle and Tumwater canyons.  Mostly, we locals don't bother to document/publicize our routes because we believe other climbers might enjoy the feel of climbing undocumented routes -- the feel of a "first ascent".  However, we also recognize that not every climber has the time and resources to get the most out of "adventure climbing".  Some folks really do need to know where and what a climb is.  So, we're willing to share the wealth.  True, some of you will miss out on the "adventure" feature, but many will be happy to know of the many little-known and perfectly accessible venues out there.

-Haireball

I for one am very curious about the little-known and perfectly accessible venues near Leavenworth!