eight mile road

Jarred_Jackman

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the hot tip, since there's been such low snow and high rain I didn't know if someone with a little more hands-on information would care to share their knowledge. As it is I guess I got what I expected, very little information from a moron with very little to do. But as I said, thanks for the hot tip, I'll be sure and note it.

thanks for the hot tip, since there's been such low snow and high rain I didn't know if someone with a little more hands-on information would care to share their knowledge. As it is I guess I got what I expected, very little information from a moron with very little to do. But as I said, thanks for the hot tip, I'll be sure and note it.

Jarred, the road is always closed in winter. The snow depth is always way low down low, and usually allows walking the first few miles, and gets deep as you get to the regular trailhead. If it hasnt snowed recently (a few weeks), there may be a well-pounded-out trail all the way to the Lake. But if it hasnt, you will need snowshoes or skis. If you go past the lake, you will 95% likely need snowshoes or skis anyway.

HTH, Alex

I seriously doubt it (re: skiing Assguard). Its a looong approach for a very mediochre, boulder-and-tree strewn drop, and you cant ski back out easily to the car. Plus Enchantments typically get much less snow than other areas of the range. Prussik isnt the driest spot in central WA for nuthin'. smile.gif I think the only people who go into Colchuck Lake this time of year are climbers. And with the weather lately, there hasnt been all that much reason to think that climbing there would be fun. frown.gif

I seriously doubt it (re: skiing Assguard). Its a looong approach for a very mediochre, boulder-and-tree strewn drop, and you cant ski back out easily to the car. Plus Enchantments typically get much less snow than other areas of the range. Prussik isnt the driest spot in central WA for nuthin'. smile.gif I think the only people who go into Colchuck Lake this time of year are climbers. And with the weather lately, there hasnt been all that much reason to think that climbing there would be fun. frown.gif

COLCHUCK GLACIER!!!!!!

AND THE TOUR THROUGH THE ENCHANTMENTS IS JUST SOO ENCHANTING...

i'd have to disagree with alex regarding the quality of skiing available in the enchantments (during a normal winter). skiing out the trail can suck though.

conditions as of 2/4: easy sliding from icicle river to the trailhead. ski/snowshoe track up to colchuck/stuart lake trail junction. ski track continues up mountaineer creek. trail not broken up to colchuck recently. dragontail is plastered. triple couloirs is loaded with snow and the first connection is plastered (no ice evident but i bet it would go on neve). ski conditions in the forest suck--recommend snowshoes.