See! we have found our mittens."

Put on your mittens

You silly kittens,

And you may have some pie.

"Purr-r, purr-r, purr-r,

O let us have the pie.

Purr-r, purr-r, purr-r."

snaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gif

The replacement gloves I got worked great this past weekend. The seams are showing no signs of undue wear. I'm sure it was just a bad pair I got before. Now that they haven't fallen apart on me, I can honestly say these gloves rock.

fruit.gif

the ice flows seem to have all the advantages of thin gloves like the drytool, but with a little bit more warmth and knuckle padding. My hands never got cold (well it never got below ~25F) and I really think the thin palms kept my hands / forearms from getting too pumped on long steep sections. FWIW, I'd recommend these.

• 3 weeks later...

I have about a week's worth of climbing, and no problems so far. I did cut off the little clips though. First time out one of those ended up under the cuff of a tool leash - painful. The only climbing I've done in them has been cold. I find them surprisingly warm, but I do swap into a pair of mittens at the belays. I like 'em.

As to the guy touting the Vinylgloves, or whatever they're called.... A Canadian buddy of mine used to climb in these rubberized canvas fisherman's mitts (Nokia I think). I used to laugh at him until I tried them. Warm, very grippy on tools, precurved and box cut, and really really waterproof. The canvas interior takes a long time to dry, but even swapping a fresh fleece liner into a damp mitt was pretty warm the next day. The palms even survive rappels if you don't rush them. Certainly better than some of the OR mitts I've climbed in. Some of the oddest solutions can work really well.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought multiple gloves to Canada and ended up using my Cloudveils exclusively the whole time. For how thin they are, I was pleasantly surprised how warm they were! The leather is top quality (pigskin?) and survived all the raps I did no problem. I think these gloves are grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!