fritchis need friends

gapertimmy

the situation: a pair of fritchi freerides in need of some boards

the dilema: limited budget

the need: a fat ski for in and out of bounds fun

so i have a pair of fritchis sitting in a box, and i'm curious for some suggestions on what i should mount them on. my current/usual alpine setup is a dynastar power track 4x4 from about 3 years ago, not a fat ski by todays standards, but has been a good all mountain ski for me.

truly, this fritchi setup will be used about 80% of the time in bounds, on powder days, and days when I feel like a fatter ski.

cletus has reccomended a few skis to me, namely the atomic r.ex as a great all around ski, would perform well on powder days, but is still firm enough to bust through crud.

I have also demoed rossi xxx and dynastar intuitive bigs (a tad heavy) and liked them both as well.

so i'm looking for suggestions. weight isn't a huge issue, but i don't want the skis to be super heavy for the times i do go tour. am not really looking into a AT ski persay, rather something a bit more powerful for bustin through crud and shizzy.

help me spend some money, suggestions please.

ohh, i'm an ok skier, not extremely aggressive, so might even call me a big hairy pussy.

please refrain from tele preaching as well

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bandit XXX is a great all around fat ski in my opinion. I've skied a pair for 3 years and recently traded them away to skisports for some other stuff. They ski powder awesome (obviously) but also handled pretty much every form of crap that alpental through at them with relative ease. They are an awesome crud buster and and they completely fucking rocked in soft spring snow. In fact, I'd generally ski them over any of my other skis in the spring. These were a few years old, so I'm guessing you could get a pair of that age for fairly cheap now...maybe from some gumby who bought them during the fat ski craze and isn't using them????

The bandit XXX is a great all around fat ski in my opinion. I've skied a pair for 3 years and recently traded them away to skisports for some other stuff. They ski powder awesome (obviously) but also handled pretty much every form of crap that alpental through at them with relative ease. They are an awesome crud buster and and they completely fucking rocked in soft spring snow. In fact, I'd generally ski them over any of my other skis in the spring. These were a few years old, so I'm guessing you could get a pair of that age for fairly cheap now...maybe from some gumby who bought them during the fat ski craze and isn't using them????

what length did you have?

tex... you know that you are banned from posting to any snow related thread, suck my freshiez and die! madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

I skied a 188, which, with me being only 5' 10", was too long. I could definitely ski it, and they rocked, but if I hadn't bought them used, I would have gone with a shorter length.

I'm a huge fan of shorter skis now, esp. for touring. my two favorite pairs of skis are both 175s now.

My new dream is a pair of this year's AK launchers in a nice short lenght. pick them up...they are *super* light...would make an awesome fat touring ski. Unfortunately they are damn expensive, so I'll wait until they can be had used or on sale.

My experience:

I just got BD Miras, and they rock, but they might be too spendy for you? They don't hold an edge to good on ice at speed, but otherwise rockband.gif Great powder and crud ski, light enough to tour.

Things I've heard:

Rossi XXX is good for big, fast turns. Mega Bang is same ski, but softer. Lots of friends love the AK Launchers.

Skis are spendy, maybe you will find something used?

I haven't tried the Crossbow, and don't know anyone who has them either, so I can't say how they compare with the Mira. I bought my Miras on pro deal too, and they are very worth it for the price. Made in Austria, so they aren't Tuas any more. Hagen maybe?

Here's a review or two of the Crossbow from the tttips.com.

Here is the review that had me anticipating the mounting of my new skis all fall. smile.giflaugh.gif

Just re-reading it, I think I need to do a little detune...

for cheap skis, get some hagans. Or, You should be able to find an alpine midfat (<85mm waist) for cheap at a garage sale. I think a nice Head all metal ski from the sixties would be a nice retro touch.

On pro deal, most skis will cut you less than two hundred bones, timmy. Just jump on in and get some Rossi Mega Bangs.

I've skied the crossbow on hardpack, Crossbows are a great ski, BD seems to have someone shaping their skis right. There are better skis for going fast though.

If you can wait for next season, there are some hot new skis on the horizon. Look for a new superlight k28611 weighing in at only 42oz per pair, a couple new ladies tele skis, (Karhu twin tip Jil and the K2 instinx)

and a twin tipper from Black Diamond. More assymetrical shaping in the torsion boxes will add lateral rigidity to more skis in the coming season.

80 percent inbounds, better keep some alpine bindings mounted up on something. It is merely trendy to ski AT inbounds, dude.

You know what I think matey...

R.EX 177cm (84mm underfoot)

Fischer Big Stix 84s 180cm (84mm)

K2 AK Launchers 180cm (88mm)

xXx's or MegaBangs (AT/tele version of xXx's) 178cm, 90mm

I still think the Crossbows are gonna be too wimpy in crud. Light and soft ski + PacNW chunder death cookies = yardsales.

Did you get that email I sent about the 180cm Launchers for cheap?

D.C. sux at 30 degrees F, by the way, but I did go bouldering today, you'll be happy to know.

Cletus

Edited by Cletus

DEATH COOKIE CHUNDER!

beck, its not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend, please don't hate me because i'm trendy, there not gonna laugh at me again.

name the song, and thanks for the info

cletus, i'm watching the pussy for you. FWIW, its raining up here at mt bachelor, its all yours.

-xXx

xander

Edited by gapertimmy

The Denali XT is quite the AT boot. I climb like a braindead walrus in them though. Leuthold Couloir is about the extent to which I want to climb in those things. The skiing, of course, is phenomenal. I recommend booster straps too. Fun to strap those on once I've been skiing in my Invernos. I do like skiing in Invernos to because I can't cheat on technique (they dump me on my ass if I look at them wrong). hahaha.gif