All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Oh, I'm not second guessing your decisions. I'm just glad you're OK. Really. Trying to get out. It's never enough.
  3. That trail is a quad blaster for sure.
  4. Mexico or Ecuador climbing

There's more BS to deal with on the high volcanoes in Ecuador than Mexico: there are guards, and depending upon whom you talk to, you may or may not need a guide to climb. Mexico is much more laid back, with no guards, and good free camping near the Izta trailhead and on the south side of Orizaba (not the normal gringo route up the shrinking glacier). If there are two or more of you in Mexico, I'd rent a car instead of messing with public transit. It's not that expensive, you can make better use of your time, and you have a place to store the gear you aren't using. Either way, it should be a great trip.
  5. Today
  6. Yesterday
  7. Yak peak conditions

still wet as of a week ago
  8. Mexico or Ecuador climbing

We stayed at Servimont one night on each end of the Orizaba trip, arranged for transport to Piedra Grande, and bought water and fuel. It’s a simple climb, just a fun slog at elevation. I would save your money and not hire a guide. It was just my girlfriend and I travelling and we had no issues. I speak semi-decent Spanish, but lots of folks pull it off with zero Español. We only had seven days, and only climbed Orizaba—with a stopover to hike La Malinche for acclimatization. So no info on the other volcanoes. It was a great trip, and totally doable with a short window.
  9. Mexico or Ecuador climbing

Agree. Mexican bus travel is pretty easy and safe (and nice!). Cheap too. If you go for Orizaba, check out Dr. Reyes’ services in Tlachichuca. Totally customizable and affordable. http://www.servimont.com.mx/en/
  10. Last Ascents in the Cascades

Bob in the mirror with his 4" measuring tape "PROBABLY SECOND BIGGEST DICK AFTER RON JEREMY"
  11. Last Ascents in the Cascades

Naw, it still goes. Not unrepeated per se either, it got freed, just not to the top. It's kinda like Robie Reid NE face, what was 10a before is 10+ R after
  12. As a bump, it would be nice to have the pictures back on this one
  13. [TR] Joffre Peak - Flavelle-Lane 8/15/2010

@jon @olyclimber any chance the pics in this report can be made to work again?
  14. Epic trip! Thanks for sharing...snow pro is sooooo subjective, ice and rock and a lot easier to evaluate.
  15. ha -- hope that's not someone's real number!
  16. Last Ascents in the Cascades

Dodged a bullet on that one...on a geologic time scale. We would have been obliterated.
  17. Hear that people? Contact JGAP LLC for all your alpine planning needs! Very reasonable rates that match my very reasonable alpine success rate. Increase your Bulger and Smoot ticks this summer, and decrease your alpine failures*, with one quick call: 1-800-JGAPLLC *results vary, may not actually improve alpine performance. No refunds, or guarantees. You may die, be maimed, or otherwise be inconvenienced based on advice given by JGAP LLC.
  18. well look at you answering my question before I even asked it! maybe you can monetize that skill.
  19. Oh, I should add that the lower cliffs by Moraine lake were nearly melted out when we went. It is likely to be significantly worse now, and not a lot of fun to connect the glacier to the lake. Also the lake was beginning to melt out with open water on both ends. So likely not in great shape at the present....
  20. Last Ascents in the Cascades

Sadly the Renton sweet granite went away. Or was it there?
  21. Wow, epic TR and glad you were not injured. Regarding snow pro, totally agree it can be very difficult to place solid snow pro. I have rapped off T-slot pickets but nowadays I will opt to carry both a msr snow fluke and a picket on steep snow routes for this reason of snow variability. I have bounce tested snow flukes (run/slid full speed while roped in) and been pleasantly surprised how well they hold in different snow conditions since they dig deeper into the snow, particularly the newer ones....It took a fair amount of digging/effort to retrieve them after loading...
  22. Thanks, @Rad! I hope you are doing well and you've been getting out some/enough this spring! As far as rope: No, we were not roped up. We based this decision on the conditions of the glacier that we saw/felt when we crossed on skis the evening before, the conditions of the snow in the morning when we set out, and the fact that we we only had a very short section of glacier to cross before getting around/above the bergshrunds. The risk of a crevasse fall, especially carrying big packs and skis, seemed really remote. My punch-through, in fact, wasn't into a crevasse as far as we could tell, since we could see boulders at the bottom and there was nothing that looked like glacier ice. Perhaps not the 100% absolute most conservative choice (not to rope up), but I think we would still do it as we did if we could go back. I will definitely read/consider whatever you or anyone wants to say on the topic.
  23. Me and a buddy did Mt. Baring main peak and then south peak in the fall of 2002 but I don't remember anything more than scrambling around on the SW aspect. Looks better with some snow on it. I was recently thinking of the Skykomish Valley version of the "North Bend Triple" and think a fit scrambler could do Gunn-Merchant-Baring in a day. You could be set up to re-supply at a vehicle between peaks. Approximately 22 miles and 12,000' vert, probably doable in a day but I'd take a headlamp for sure. Someone has probably done it.
  24. They are working this morning for me! Beautiful! Maybe my internets were temporarily jammed.
  25. They all show up nicely for me!
  26. Mexico or Ecuador climbing

One week MX would be far better- shorter travel time, and cheaper flights. If you speak rudimentary Spanish, there is zero reason for guide/travel service to get around. Just keep low profile and don't travel at night.
  27. Mexico or Ecuador climbing

Looking to head south this winter for a week. Haven't decided on the Mexican volcanoes or Ecuador. I would want to hire a local guide to handle logistics, lodging and transportation. Any recommendations for either location, and any recommendations of a local guide? Anyone else headed down this winter with room for two more (me and my wife), or anyone looking to go that want to join us? I figure prices get cheaper the more people you have. Thanks.
  28. Weird....displays fine in my browser. Still the case? If so, we'll need to get @jon to investigate.
  1. Load more activity