the "uselessness" of climbing?

knotzen

I'm reading a book, "Fatal Mountaineer," about Willi Unsoeld, and the author, a non-climber journalist, keeps referring to the "uselessness" of climbing and mountaineering.

On one hand, I can agree that climbing is useless to general society--it doesn't solve any of the world's problems. OTOH, climbing does a lot for/to the individual climbing--obviously. It tones your body and mind in a way possibly particular to climbing. Climbing isn't any more useless than the Tour de France or any other sport, really.

Also, stories about climbing also are inspirational to armchair climbers, so you could say climbing contributes culturally, as do other sports.

If I didn't climb, I doubt I'd be pursuing a Ph.D in cellular biology and finding a cure for cancer. It's not distracting me from higher pursuits.

This also brings to mind my grandfather's question, when I told him I was going climbing: "What do you do when you get to the top, just come down?" He doesn't get that the going up is what it's all about.

Thoughts? (Notice this is not in the Spray forum, eh.)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think doing things that are "hard" and challenging prepares you for life's challenges. Everyone will have to cope with life-altering experiences and having a foundation of strong will and sacrifice may prepare you for those days.

I also don't think life is worth living if you don't enter risky situations. A comfortable life is useless. No one ever wrote a story about a person who lived a comfortable life and never dealt with anything. Someone who risked everything to achieve a dream..and maybe suffered some failures along the way...now that's a story. wink.gif

Climbing has changed my stress threshold. Nothing short of life-threatening situations creates stress for me.

What? I missed the meeting. too bad.

The stresses of the non-climbing portion of my life are so much less significant after spending the weekend thrutching up a tough route.

Climbing is an elitist activity reserved for those lucky few on the planet who have extra time and energy on their hands and have to burn it off. Most people in the world have a hard enough time surviving day to day. The disparity is remarkable.

How's that for cynicism?

I think that's more true of skiing where you require gear and lift tickets but people have been climbing the mountains around here for 1000's of years before there was any gear invented.

thousands of years?

sorry, any activity requiring driving a great distance, buying a ton of crap, and purposefully putting oneself in ugly situations just to get a thrill, that is an activity reserved for the elite, who have time, money, and extra energy on their hands. dirtbag climbers are hardly in a position where they are about to die of starvation, and most weekend warriors are just looking to find an outlet from a life that is too dull and too easy.

Thread drift... But the book "Ascent" (biography of Willi Unsoeld) was fantastic!

And yes climbing is pointless. So is jet skiing, pet ownership (dog, nodders, gimps etc), recreational sex, taking a shower every day, wearing ties to work, posting on cc.com, all thing on TV and the radio, the chimperor........ So it's not really any more pointless than most other things in life besides having kids, and providing food and shelter for them. Were just lucky that we have to spend less time on the necessities.

Climbing is an elitist activity reserved for those lucky few on the planet who have extra time and energy on their hands and have to burn it off. Most people in the world have a hard enough time surviving day to day. The disparity is remarkable.

But that's true of many, many things in Western society. Just about everything we do or buy is fluff compared to the struggle to survive that millions face every day.

Thread drift... But the book "Ascent" (biography of Willi Unsoeld) was fantastic!

And yes climbing is pointless. So is jet skiing, pet ownership (dog, nodders, gimps etc), recreational sex, taking a shower every day, wearing ties to work, posting on cc.com, all thing on TV and the radio, the chimperor........ So it's not really any more pointless than most other things in life besides having kids, and providing food and shelter for them. Were just lucky that we have to spend less time on the necessities.

Yeah, what he said. grin.gif

thousands of years?

sorry, any activity requiring driving a great distance, buying a ton of crap, and purposefully putting oneself in ugly situations just to get a thrill, that is an activity reserved for the elite, who have time, money, and extra energy on their hands. dirtbag climbers are hardly in a position where they are about to die of starvation, and most weekend warriors are just looking to find an outlet from a life that is too dull and too easy.

Wasn't it the Mayans who used to play some game with rubber balls and hoops, where they sacrificed the losers? Hell, chimps masterbate and throw feces. Pointlessness has always been around and always will be! fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

thousands of years?

Spending time posting on the Internet is pretty elitist. cantfocus.gif

I was thinking about this over lunch. If I spend my time doing something that improves my life, doesn't that mean I've improved someone's life (even if that's my own) and by doing so I've improved life on Earth in general?

I'm hoping my climbing Rainier besides the obvious benefit to myself (hours and hours of life-enhancing training) that my kids will be inspired by it? So I've enhanced the lives of my whole family. And my dad who's in a rest home is totally into my venture too...his life is improved by my actions as well. He's completely bedridden and has never climbed a mountain..but he can live vicariously through me.

So frankly maybe I started this whole thing just as my own little selfish adventure but now I'm seeing how it's affecting all the lives around me.

I don't see it as useless at all....maybe it's the most useful thing I've done in my life.

Edited by Iapetus999