Climbing Hood in February

studem-16

I was wondering if any one could inform me of any beta about climbing Hood in February I am new to Hood so any info would help. For instance, specific gear(beside tradtional climbing gear), weather conditions, snow conditions, and/or good (safer) routes at that time a year?

Also I was thinking of starting with the South Side route and was wondering if any of the ascent is snowshoeable or skiable?

Thanks!

Edited by studem-16

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Post of the Year thus far! Priceless!

I bookmarked the link. Something tells me it'll come in handy around here again someday...

BTW, skied the SS route in AT gear from just below the Pearly Gates over President's Day a few years back. It'll go. Just don't fall, it's a long cartwheel to the crater.

ok to really answer your question.

SS of hood is your best bet in Feb. Avi and weather is critical.

avi weather

Better have your map and compass skills. Weather is fast, whiteout conditions happen all the time.

route description

This was posted just below your post

Read this

Be sure to regester prior to leaving. You can snowshoe, but I prefer skining to the hogs back then sking down starting at pearly gates. If you get good weather you will have a handfull of other people up there with you.

Good luck and be safe!!!!

I prefer the ski down through the old crater variation. You can ski off the top, or walk the rim to the chute that feeds it in.

Skiing from there also gives you the angle to catch some fun air off the hogsback, or to ski over to the west crater and get some steeper stuff in.

-r

I prefer the ski down through the old crater variation. You can ski off the top, or walk the rim to the chute that feeds it in.

Skiing from there also gives you the angle to catch some fun air off the hogsback, or to ski over to the west crater and get some steeper stuff in.

-r

Ditto. The pearly gates are usually filled with rubble or a boot pack, so not that smooth compared to the nice pitch over by the West Crater.

There seems to be a wide range of what folks consider as white-out. Last winter we had weather move in quickly around dawn on the SS, bring serious white-out and freezing rain that quickly built up on our gear to over 1" thick. We were by Crater Rock at the time. Couldn't see past the end of my trekking pole. As we slowly headed back down, a couple small slab avis went close by, no doubt as a result of precip-loading. Sure wish I had remembered to bring the gps, even with altimeter, map & compass we ended up W of the Palmer lift and had to traverse E for an hour. Fun stuff.

HOOD_Ice_Storm_Bill.jpg

wait for good weather with no chance of a storm and if conditions are stable I highly suggest riding off the top through the old chute and cut left back over the hogs back and down. Theres a little book called oregon high with great photos of every route on the mountain. After reading the book and then doing your route of choice, all the features will be obvious. At this time of year Avalanche danger is a major concern. Learn how to read snow before you go and where a beacon.

I was wondering if any one could inform me of any beta about climbing Hood in February I am new to Hood so any info would help. For instance, specific gear(beside tradtional climbing gear), weather conditions, snow conditions, and/or good (safer) routes at that time a year?

Also I was thinking of starting with the South Side route and was wondering if any of the ascent is snowshoeable or skiable?

Thanks!

Why Feb.? Why not that weather window in Jan or March?

Letsroll, solid classic!

• 2 weeks later...