NUUN

fenderfour

I tried some of this stuff and liked it a lot.

pic-what01.jpg

NUUN Webpage

It's an electrolyte drink that comes in tablet form. One pack treats 4-8 liters of water. It has a subtle flavor and does the trick. You can't beat the convenient packaging.

I've seen it at Second Ascent, Speedy Reedy, and Gregg's Cycle at Greenlake. As a bonus, it's a local company.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

The following is the nutritional information for a serving of nuun based on one tablet dissolved in 250ml (8.45oz) of water.

Active Ingredients Level (mg)

Sodium (carbonates) 175.0

Potassium (bicarbonate) 50.0

Calcium (carbonate) 12.5

Magnesium (sulfate) 12.5

Vitamin C 37.5

Vitamin B2 500mcg

Hey Dru - isn't there a Nodder thread that you are neglecting?

First off the vitamins won't do much for hydration so they are window dressing

Secondly that seems too high in sodium and toolow in potassium.

Thirdly the fact they are carbonates probably means they are less, rather than more, soluble that if they were chloride salts so you are paying more for less.

In short you are getting ripped off and you could put some Metolius Superchalk in with your salt and Kool-aid to get excatly the same electrolytes for much cheaper> It seems like a scam to me.

Does your friend make them or something?

cost comparison for effervescent "active hydration":

nuun - one tube at recommended concentration = 4 liters, with quantity discount, $6.50/tube so that's $1.63/liter.

for 1 liter of water

sodium 700 mg

potassium 200 mg

calcium 50 mg

magnesium 50 mg

vit. C 150 mg

vit. B2 2,000 mcg 2,580 mcg

emergen-c (lemon-lime flavor) web page, at recommended concentration (1 packet for 6 oz. water) = approx. 6 packets per liter. box of 36 packets costs $8.69 = $1.45/liter

for 1 liter of water

sodium 360 mg

potassium 1,200 mg

calcium 300 mg

magnesium 360 mg

vit. C 6,000 mg

vit. B2 2,580 mcg

so, if you're into this sort of thing, looks to me like emergen-c is a better deal? less sodium, but way more potassium. available at almost any grocery store. though, 6 packs per bottle is a lot more concentrated than i ever mix it.

dru's probably right that you can make your own for pennies, but any ideas on getting the effervescence? seems to make it mix better and my tummy likes it on nervous alpine mornings.

First off the vitamins won't do much for hydration so they are window dressing

Secondly that seems too high in sodium and toolow in potassium.

Thirdly the fact they are carbonates probably means they are less, rather than more, soluble that if they were chloride salts so you are paying more for less.

In short you are getting ripped off and you could put some Metolius Superchalk in with your salt and Kool-aid to get excatly the same electrolytes for much cheaper> It seems like a scam to me.

Does your friend make them or something?

I don't like most of the electrolyte products because they don't work for me. This one probably works because of the increased sodium content. I usually eat boullion cubes, but this is so much tastier.

No, my friend doesn't make them, but I do like the idea of supporting a local business.

I'm just wondering - are you a nutritionist?

Group I carbonates (Li, Na, K, etc) are very soluble in water. Group II carbonates (Be, Mg, Ca, etc) are not soluble in water. You are correct that the Cl salts are more soluble, but at the concentrations under discussion here (mg/L), it doesn't matter.

The MgSO4 and calcium carbonate are DEHYDRATING agents, which act as preservatives.

Down below I've pasted in some info from yet another option, Hammer Endurolytes, which are basically salt capsules that are taken orally instead of mixing with water. I know some climbers who use these and claim the advantage that they can adjust their salt intake depending on exertion level and independent of their fluid intake. Not sure of the cost, but you could also buy your own gelatin capsules and make a salt-only imitation for cheap.

I've been messing around a lot lately with my own drink mixes. The salts clearly help me avoid cramping and probably also with recovery, but I don't like carrying around all the sugar in the usual brands. Right now I'm using Crystal Light or Wyler's or Kool Aid sugar free mixes and adding my own salt. Between Morton Salt (600+ mg sodium and no potassium), Morton Salt Substitute (all potassium and no sodium) and Morton Lite Salt (roughly 50/50), you can come up with whatever ratio you think works for pennies. I take other vitamins anyway, so don't worry about them in the drink mix. Warning: If you add plenty of salt to a Lemon-Lime or Lemonade drink mix, you will get an immediate craving for tequila.

Hammer Endurloytes Data

Ingredients:

Sodium Chloride - 100 mg.

Calcium (Chelate) - 50 mg.

Magnesium (Chelate) - 25 mg.

Potassium (Chelate) - 25 mg.

Vitamin B-6 (Pyrodoxine HCL) - 6.6 mg.

Manganese (Chelate) - 1.6 mg.

L-Tyrosine - 50 mg.

Endurolytes Usage Instructions

DOSAGE:Take 2-3 capsules one hour prior to training sessions or races.

When training or racing for periods beyond one hour, consume 1-6 capsules of Endurolytes per hour of exercise. As a general rule, the hotter/more humid the weather, the higher your intake will be.