[TR] Mt. Stuart - Direct North Ridge 6/25/2016

Steph_Abegg

Trip: Mt. Stuart - Direct North Ridge

Date: 6/25/2016

Trip Report:

Jon Pobst and I climbed the Direct North Ridge of Stuart on Saturday (June 25). Took us about 6 and a half hours from base to summit. There was some snow on route storms late last week, but that should be pretty well melted by now. There were at least 8 parties on the route. Busy day on Stuart!

After climbing Stuart, Jon and I continued along the ridge and climbed Sherpa (via the West Ridge) and then continued on to Sherpa Pass. From the pass it was a super mellow descent down a snow slope to Mountaineers Creek. This might be a good route to consider as a north side descent once the Sherpa Glacier becomes too melted this season. It looks good right now but is melting fairly quickly.

I have posted a trip report for the North Ridge on my website:

http://www.stephabegg.com/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/stuart#2016

Some random photos:

975525.jpg

975529.jpg

975597.jpg

27932594685_a9bca86544_b.jpg

27898283046_2d726bfa70_b.jpg

27319411343_680fe18a8e_b.jpg

975526.jpg

27653987700_df18ec3d45_b.jpg

27653983700_0727fb9654_b.jpg

864234.jpg

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is Sherpa worth doing as a stand alone? Seemed like a long slog for a short climb. I like your linkup.

I'd say if you are passing by and want to tag the summit, the WR of Sherpa is a great little climb. But if your only aim is to climb Sherpa, the longer NR is probably the better choice. Done as a link-up, the WR is a nice addition to a climb of the NR of Stuart.

Great report, thanks for all the info!

We climbed Sherpas west ridge on Saturday and didn't see a soul all day. It had been weeks since another party had signed the register. We must have barely missed eachother! We headed down the south side from the w ridge notch around 2:30.

So is Sherpa worth doing as a stand alone? Seemed like a long slog for a short climb. I like your linkup.

Yes on both points. The rock is good, the climbing is interesting for its grade, the views are good, and it is a long slog.

Great report, thanks for all the info!

We climbed Sherpas west ridge on Saturday and didn't see a soul all day. It had been weeks since another party had signed the register. We must have barely missed eachother! We headed down the south side from the w ridge notch around 2:30.

We saw your footprints and summit register entry - yes indeed, must have just missed you!

Great TR and nice photos. Your description of the routes including overlays is nice. Despite being a 50 crowded climb, some folks get a little confused on the direct start N. Ridge and above the gendarme. Tagging Sherpa and your descent is a nice add on. As you know, there is no easy button for a round trip on Stuart from either side.

P.S. It's about time someone published the next defining PNW climbing guide... just a thought:)

Here's a new 2016 guidebook: LINK

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-12-01%2Bat%2B6.43.13%2BPM.png

Yes and it is an AWESOME guidebook! If you are looking for a great selection of rock climbs in the Cascades, you'll want to get ahold of a copy.....

Thanks for this great TR! My partner and I camped up Mountaineers creek on a bench above the moraine below Sherpa pass Saturday eve before climbing Sherpa's North Ridge on Sunday. I swore I heard voices below us but figured I was crazy. Seems likely it was you on your descent!? Saw your summit entry.

Edited by pugetgold