Black diamond x-15

Steigerman

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read some reviews in old catalogs and magazines, and they seem to be a good beginner/alpine tool. Depends on how much ice you will climb, and how steep that same ice will be. In my book, new tools for $85 each is a good deal. If you like Grivel, you might be able to find Rambo IIs or Geronimos for $100 or so.

I just bought an X-15 a month ago and I like it. Of course you can't change out the hammer or adze, but if you're just starting out chances are you won't break either of them doing some heinous move or something. I don't know how often a person could break those features anyhow. They're a little lighter than the Black Prophets, good buy I would say, not AMAZING, but a good buy, they're definitely solid!

I don't know about the x-15s but I've heard good things about the BD Shrikes, mainly that they are light and cheap. You can find them for ~$100 here and other tools for cheap here. I know lots of you don't like to buy online and would rather support a small local shop, but climbing is expensive and you gotta save where you can....

Poster: Rainier_Wolfscastle

Subject: Re: Black diamond x-15

Good: Sturdy, accepts all current BD picks

Bad: Really heavy tool. They may fry your shoulders/arms on long/steep terrain.

That only applies to the older X-15's (black rubber coated shaft) The newer X-15's are almost identical to the current Shrikes - and about as light. If your looking to buy a tool in the next month or so, they're definitely worth the money.

The original x-15's from the early 90's were coated in all black rubber. They are not the same as the Black Prophets. I believe the construction in the shaft, and the head is different.

Yup - the shaft was aluminum coated with black rubber, the head was forged with non-replaceable hammer & adze, and the spike was a simpler design than the Black Prophet.

The original x-15's from the early 90's were coated in all black rubber. They are not the same as the Black Prophets. I believe the construction in the shaft, and the head is different.

the original X-15's were actually mfg'd by Chouinard just prior to the employee buyout. These units as well as the first BD X-15's had absolutely no "bonded rubber" on the shafts. The shaft material was the same carbon fiber/aluminum composite used in the Chouinard Zero-X and the older blue handled north wall hammers and axes. A year or two after the buyout came the BRS models (bonded rubber shaft). When BD introduced the Black Prophet they also gave the X-15 a face lift and went away from the original carbon fiber/aluminum composite shaft to a less expensive aluminum shaft with only rubber grip. The carbon fiber/aluminum was reserved for the BP. These were produced first with red paint and than orange paint ... enter the Shrikes

I'd say for the price, if they are indeed new and unused it's not to bad of a deal ... I am sure if you wanted to spend more time shopping the various sorces suggested you might save a few bucks ... I'd say the big advantage is, as mentioned above, you can still get replacement picks

I have the older BRS (bonded rubber shaft) X-15's straight shaft and used these for waterfall climbing for many years. They take all the picks you can get that fit prophets and anything BD put out since. I finally replaced them with Cobras 2 years ago. I put my Alaska picks back on them and they are my alpine tools of choice (straight shaft better) over my Cobras. BTW, they only weigh one ounce more! I think $75 each is a reasonable price, but no more. If any one runs into a 50 cm BRS straight shaft X-15 adze or hammer, let me know. I want another one. My original waterfall tools were the original X-15's mentioned above. The pick is different. I use one of those alot too with a regular classic pick. I guess I'm a BD man. I like having a quiver so I don't have to change picks!

Edited by David_Parker