Sperry Peak TR 01/18/03

COL._Von_Spanker

Sperry Peak Circumnavigation TR.

Matt P and myself departed Saturday morning, 5:00 AM, from the park and ride on 145th for Sperry Peak. Sperry peak is a mountain between Seattle and Canada and lies in close proximity to mountain loop highway and vesper peak. We found the road to be clear enough of snow to make it to the vesper peak/ headlee pass trail head. There was some questionable scraping that nearly thwarted our attempt to drive more walk less but the subaru prevailed and I still have my muffler.

The hiking began on a snow free trail for about a mile until we reach the first clearing, at which point we abandoned the trail to drainage our way up to the north face. The clearing was covered with enough snow to hide all the holes but not enough to cover the brush, which was a chore but manageable. Making our way up the drainage towards the NF, we had to decide which of the many sub-drainages to take to get up to base of the route. Opting for what looked like the most direct route we found ourselves on some crappy slush with lots of running water. At the going got a little steeper some small steps slowed me down some though matt managed to wallow his way up with east, we through in a quick belay, at one tricky section, which was to become the only "technical" climbing of the day

At the base of the NF we found the conditions to be similar to what we saw below, slushy and rather wet, which we decided would be an interesting wallow-fest, but not for us that day. Though it's definately a worthy route, and I plan on going back. So continuing around the mountain we got in some good exercise and even tossed in a rappel to access the glacier below Vesper. Once at the saddle between Vesper and Sperry, the summit of vesper seemed so close, and the weather was so great we just had to get to the top. I thought I saw tracks along the ridge so it was even more inviting, though the tracks were merely a mirage. 30 minutes after leaving the col we were on the top trying to figure out where everything was. I think I asked "what's that mountain and where is XXX" about 100 times, but it didn't seem to bother Matt much. After soaking up the view for a while we headed on down to Hadlee pass and on to the car, hiking the last sections on the trail by headlamp.

We stopped for dinner and coffee in Verlot, not bad fare when you are hungry enough. Though I ordered breakfast and they wouldn't poach my eggs and they didn't have sausage even though it was on the menu.

Matt: Feel free to add anything that I may have overlooked.

Edited by COL._Von_Spanker

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Don't tell anybody, but yes, I was back. This time with another partner (I won't tell who). Once again, we were turned back by warm conditions - wet rock slabs with slush on them. Who knows: we may yet have winter conditions but even when they forecast a freezing level of 2,000 feet it doesn't seem to be frozen at 4,000 feet this winter!!!

By the way, just in case anybody is wondering: N Face of Sperry Peak looks like a mediocre climb and it is protected by a forest of slide maple and devil's club, so there is really no reason to go there unless one is a true afficionado. I enjoyed my brush-beatings, however, and I am anxious to return. I enjoyed both outings and both partners expressed interest in going back -- would anybody like to join us? Call me at 1-800-devil's-club.

jhamaker and I beat our ways up the NE ridge this summer. As you say Matt, it truly is a brush bash down low. boxing_smiley.gif It was certainly good alpine fun however. I remember this one nice chimney move up between a not-very-featureful vertical rock and a heavily branched pine tree. yellaf.gif

Too bad I didn't know you were up there again, mattp. Had I known, I would have requested that you snap a few shots of the entire Northwest Ridge of Lewis Peak while there. I know you can see the NW Ridge of Lewis because I could see the north side of Sperry from the ridge.

And does anybody know what's supposed to be going on with this graemlin: mushsmile.gif ? (Oh wait, I just figured it out: the graemlin's whacked out on shrooms!)

Nice to sorta meet ya Matt. Hey don't feel bad, I unintentionally went swimming that day in the creek draining down from below Del Campo. After uttering a few choice words I got a pretty good chuckle out of it. Who new going swimming in a mountain stream in January w/ an air temp of around 40 could be so pleasant? Didn't even get the least bit cold on the rest of the trip out. yelrotflmao.gif