So long asshole!

glassgowkiss

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 3-4 years economy is very stagnant, with big cost of living increases, and wages being flat. This is partially due to the fact Harper's cronies changed the economy to petro economy. Hence families making over 150K/year still can't afford to buy a condo, not to mention a house in areas like Vancouver or Toronto.

So how did the petro economy switch jack home values in Vancouver?

I was talking about this with a friend last night who just bought a very small condo in East Van. for 400K. He and I were wondering how everyone was paying the high prices for homes- wages don't seem to be high enough to justify the crazy cost. Asian money? He said that people are going incredibly far into debt, not saving for retirement, etc. to try and keep up. Seems like a bubble if there ever was one.

when you have a federal policy favoring developers and big money, you end up with monopoly. And petro-economy ties in with a currency, because then everything starts to revolve around petroleum and gas base products. And it's not only Vancouver, because pretty much exact issues are happening in Calgary and Toronto. So it's hard to blame just a foreign money. The fact is, the more diverse the economy is, the better for an average person. Harper's cronies gambled, and at the same time they turned canadian dollar into a currency based upon petro industry. At the same time, they pretty much sacrificed entire manufacturing sector.

I think every dollar in the world is a petro dollar.

Everything does revolve around petroleum and oil based products.

The oil industries fall from grace in the Alberta Tar Sands isn't an partisan decision. It has to do with world market forces that no politician could ever control.

I realize that a liberal canadian government with shoot down new pipelines and such and that's a good thing for the environment but not necessarily the economy.

Edited by Eric T