Alasdair

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Forest Service has always been about cutting down trees. What really irks me is that they do it at a loss to the taxpayers. Through poor accounting, and questionable accounting practices, they mask the fact that the money they spend on road building and maintenance exceed the value of the timber they sell. Nobody really knows how much money they are losing because according to the GAO, the FS has the worst accounting of any government agency.

Clinton's roadless plan was in reality a plan to save the taxpayer money by not building roads. Bush would like to undo that so he can continue to give away public money to the big corporations that support him.

The Forest Service has always been about cutting down trees. What really irks me is that they do it at a loss to the taxpayers. Through poor accounting, and questionable accounting practices, they mask the fact that the money they spend on road building and maintenance exceed the value of the timber they sell.

Since when has it been necessary to make a profit from road building? I'll bet I-90 and Highway 20 ended up in the red too.

In reply to:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since when has it been necessary to make a profit from road building?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when you sell your product at a loss.

How much of a profit did the government get from building I-90?

You playing dumb or what? I-90 was built to transport people and commerce over the mountains over many years. The business generated increases tax revenues, which more than make up for the investment. Logging roads are used once to for one purpose and one purpose only to take out cut trees. I'd heard the FS likes to amortize the cost over 50 years so that they can include the value of the next cut in the cost of the road. The only problem is they don't account for what it costs to reopen those roads in 50 years after they've grown over and landslides have taken out most of the roadbed.