La Sportiva Lhotse, Boreal Super Latok, or Kayland

scot'teryx

Has anyone had any of these boots?

Im replacing my Koflach Degree Plastics since I despise them so much

I want something warm, good support, and very water repellent.

I really want to get the Kaylands, but I am not sure about the insulation factor, waiting for an email back from the company.....

thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on what you're doing it may not take much insulation to keep you warm. A less insulated boot might cause you to sweat less and a softer sole is going to be better for almost all kinds of climbing. I'm sure all the boots you're looking at are well made, it's the fit not the color...

Were the Eigers kind of wide? I've always had a difficult time finding wide boots, but Lisa at Marmot (always lots of ice boots on sale this time of year) turned me on to the Salomon Super Mountain Lite. We'll have to see how durable they are, but what a great boot! They're light but warm enough for short winter trips. The sole is stiff (I used them with old Chouinard rigid cramps), but the ankle flexibility is sensational. On the trail, they feel like light hikers. And the price.....$180 MSRP. Great boot (wide feet only). They require a semi-automatic crampon but are firm enough for the old neoprene strap system.

A fairly good resource for boot reviews is boots .

Scott,

I hate plastics too, and have tried a few different leathers lately. My foot is wider, so I cant wear Sportiva boots at all - too painfully narrow. I wore the Nepal Top for a year, and it wasnt sized well enough for me to continue trying to make them work, and they were so heavy! I also cant wear the Scarpa Alpha Ice boot, as my arch is higher and this is a lower-volume boot, but I really like it and wish it fit: its really a nice boot for snow slogging and ice climbing in wet environments for multi-day trips.

I settled on Scarpa Eigers initially, thinking they would remain stiff enough to wear step ins, but that only lasted one season. Now they are much too soft. They are still a nice boot for "mileage" summer trips where there isnt much technical climbing.

Gene Pires showed me the Scarpa Freneys a few years ago and I got a pair last year and have not worn anything since. After one trip the blisters stopped and I have worn them without worry since, climbing fairly involved technical rock and ice in them over the last 10 months. They are step-in compatible but the asymmetrical sole makes it an effort to find the right crampons for them: Grade8s *barely* fit. Summer's Charlet Super 12s or whatever those things are fit much better. Anyway, everyone I know who climbs with them (Gene, Colin) agrees that these are awesome boots for everything imaginable. Worth looking into to see if they fit you.

Alex

According to REI, this boot:

694110.jpg

"For extreme performance on speed ascents or climbing on sport routes and big walls, these offer ergonomic design, lightness and technical performance."

Sport route huh? I'll have to get a pair the next time I go to smith.

Seriously though, they seem like well made boots. I would like to try them side by side with the scarpas.