• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
mzvarner

Canadian ice?

Getting back into the ice after 2 years away at college. The wife and I are wanting to make it to Canada for some ice. We have been to Bozeman a dozen times or so over the years. Would like an area with lots of moderate climbing ( wi 3-4 for leading anything for top roping). Banff seems to be a popular spot but want to make sure I'm not overlooking other areas

Don't forget about Canmore, just southeast of Banff.

If you're driving from PNW you can make a stop in Golden, BC. I can't remember the name of the place we went, but it was also easy access and made the drive a little more tolerable.

I think that dave is thinking about lady killer in golden which is about 8 hours from Bellingham. There are a couple of other climbs right off the hwy but road construction took away the roadside parking. (pretty nuts and water works) I think one could park on the other side of the bridge but would have to walk back across that bridge. Not sure if that is a good idea as I think there is no walkway on the bridge.

Gibraltar wall

...looked thin this morning.

Pretty, accessible (bring chains for the logging road), but certainly not WI3-4 in current conditions.

I think that dave is thinking about lady killer in golden which is about 8 hours from Bellingham. There are a couple of other climbs right off the hwy but road construction took away the roadside parking. (pretty nuts and water works) I think one could park on the other side of the bridge but would have to walk back across that bridge. Not sure if that is a good idea as I think there is no walkway on the bridge.

YES! Lady Killer and Pretty Nuts. The area is Kicking Horse Canyon. We had no issue with parking and access, found it to be pretty straightforward. The guidebook indicated there were a fair amount of other climbs, but we were on our way to Banff so we just did about half a day.

Wayne, I haven't heard of the Bull River before and an internet search turned up minimal info. Can you provide some beta for us? What are the climbs like? Access? Is the season shorter than Banff/does it come in reliably?

The idea of breaking up the long drive with some more ice sounds great!