DFA's Wine Buy of the Week

Dr_Flash_Amazing

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so it looks like the morning's biggest spray topic is wine tasting. my my aren't we a civil crowd all of a sudden. next thing you know the cascades will have a reputation as the kind of place where you can leave a pack someplace and come back to find that someone's left a chocolate mint on top. yellowlaugh.gif

Spanker:

The answer depends on who is buying. To Bill Gates, I bet the $150 bottle is well worth it - and if he has a well developed palette, he can probably honestly tell you it is three times as good. You and I may react as Fleb did - that it is a whole different breed of wine (assuming we have chosen a $150 bottle that suits our individual tastes) but how can we say it is 2x, 3x, or 5x as good. Is Outer Space 1.5x as good as Orbit because it has an extra star in the guidebook?

Mr. Chocolate, perhaps you're right about the high-dollar to high-quality ratio for Pinots, however, DFA has tasted a few Pinots, not all of them cheap, and they all seem to lean toward the "leathery" (as you say) end of the scale, with most parked more firmly in the neighborhood of "musty basement." Even if a pricier PN magnifies and smooths out that characteristic, it's still not the Doctor's preferred area of flavor. Big fruit flavors and spice or chocolate type of things, but you can keep the musty and the leathery. Ick.

But enough of dinner wines, who's up for a glass of Port?

Edited by Dr_Flash_Amazing

mattp,

Also of note is the relativity of $150 immediately after you have had the first two glasses of a really good wine. Many a second, unaffordable bottle has been ordered in this manner. cantfocus.gif

Also, it was Ovid way back in Rome, in Ars Amatoria (a "player's guide" written 2000 years ago), who wrote "beware of the low lights and wine" when trolling for the ladies. We know that today as the trask phenomenon, or coyote-ugly.

Point taken Matt, I am only playing devils advocate here. Really expensive wine is a lifestyle as much as it is taste. It's like fancy watches, most watches will give you the correct time, but that tag huer is so nice lookin'. Another point about wine relativity also related to above mentioned point, if you buy by the wine spectator ratings you can get $10 bottles that a rated just as high as many more expensive bottles.

Always serve the expensive shit first cause you won't notice the rest.

Check your local Trader Joes for "Charles Shaw". The rumor is that it's a selloff from United Airlines. At $2/bottle, it's damn good wine.

I've heard this wine reffered to as the "two buck chuck" at a dinner party last Saturday night. It's creepy you heathens know about it.

and just what in the hell is this guy supposed to be doing? - hahaha.gif