'88 Toyota 4x4

mattp

1988 Toyota 4x4 pickup, regular bed for sale as is.

It needs a head gasket and maybe a starter, and one speaker is slightly blown. Other than that, it is a cool climber's vehical with only 165k miles on it. Burgundy red truck and canopy, with a 4x4 brush bumper on the front, comes with an extra set of studded tires and chains.

No reasonable offer refused.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look around, you can get an equivalent that runs for about $3500. What it will sell at with a blown head gasket depends on the damage associated with that: does it need a new engine or a new $30 gasket? If you can do the work yourself, and get the engine tip-top while you're at it, you end up with a sweet rig that will go for many more miles.

It is a 22R. There was not a lot of antifreeze in the oil last time I checked, but it was not holding water so I was having to refill the radiator every other time I drove to work before, two months ago, I stopped driving it. It will not start because of what I think is a starter issue although I can't understand how this problem mysteriously appeared when I stopped driving it. I have had no problem with the tranny/hubs etc. or the brakes. I drove it on 800 or 1,000 mile trips twice this past summer, and since I returned from the second tripo I have not driven it more than a couple hundred miles so I believe that, once the imediate issues (admittedly serious ones) are resolved it will be an OK vehical.

No bumper stickers. But where else do you think the water goes? Some got into the cylinders the last couple times I drove it because the exhaust smelled bad, and I see it on the ground some times. My mechanic said it probably only needs the gasket, though he thought there was some chance the head would need to be machined. I was already looking for a new car anyway and just didn't want to mess with it.

Trask: the stereo is only 25w per side (Sony) tape (no CD) and you wouldn't be happy with it anyway. Don't sweat the speaker.

If it's serious and it's in the cylinders the oil should appear bubbly and soapy from the anti-freeze and it should be overly full all the time. If the oil isn't like that and the radiator's empty I'd say it's probly going somewhere else; a radiator full is a lot to burn. I'm not a mechanic though, I don't know all the possibilities.

The last used car I bought had a big comb under the seat. The previous owner (and only driver) had been bald for years before he even bought the car. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be your last chance. I put a new battery in it and it starts just fine - no new starter is needed. Still needs the head gasket, I'm afraid, but you can't have everything. Anyway, some guy came and looked at it today and said he was going home to call his mechanic and would call me back. I said I'd sell it for $1,000 and I expect him to come back with some lesser offer but we shall see....

you and kurt should start a used truck lot on hwy 99. I can get you a good deal!

I'd venture some advice that someone with some xtra time and a garage give matt the $1,000, buy a manual and a head gasket and you'd have a rig with another 150k to go. I have a friend who had an '86 and we attempted to kill it several times. It just kept coming back for more. Infact, his younger bro rolled it at high speed off a loggin road into a clear cut (after we put a homeade body lift on blush.gif ), landed on it's wheels and drove it home. Pretty indestructable.

almost as good as a ford. but not quite.

Edited by Bronco