Question about "Northwest Passage", Squamish

Bill_Simpkins

Does anyone know if there has ever been a second ascent of Northwest Passage 5.9, A3 in Sqaumish? And what the condition of the route is in and if anyone has a detailed topo. I have vague topos from the two sqaumish books. I heard that the brush has grown in a lot since the first ascent, but thats all I know. I'm going to do some recon with a telescope this weekend. Any info is appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never repeated and with good reason (overhanging dirt and nailing pitons into a crack in a tree). However, Bald Egos crosses it and shares a pitch below Vulcan's Artery. The 5.8 rating is probably a sandbag or involves Beckey 5.8 climbing up a devils club to dyno for holds, and the a3(reported as a4 at the time) is probably a2 or a1+ nowadays. But I bet all the original bolts are rust streaks now to compensate.

this part of the Grand Wall is prone to spontaneous

rockfall from time to time. I dunno on what authority

people say there's never been a 2nd ascent, the 1968

guide reads a bit like somebody else went up there. But

I don't marinate myself in climbing history as much as

others (Dru) so .... confused.gif

I was in Squamish all weekend. We felt like the only ones climbing there. It was nice. We climbed all day Saturday at the Raven's Castle on top of the Chief. Clear and dry. Then a bit at Murrin, but it was rather chilli. As far as NWP goes, I need to do some of the routes around it first to get a first hand look. If we have enough time and money this Summer, who knows. I'll bring some grappling hooks wink.gif and a chainsaw. Maybe some weedkiller too. Kidding.