Help me figure out if I'm allowed into Canada

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the major companies supply data to the government, some begrudgingly, some not, so it probably doesn't matter. Essentially, the government has wisely outsourced its surveillance technology to those who do it best: for profit companies. Free market solutions and all that. And free data.

The Obama administration shares a love of Big Data with its predecessor. Congress will make some noise for show - and the erosion of privacy will continue at pace behind the curtain.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I remember making my annual trek up to Denali one year and a friend joined me for the road trip up. When we made it to the Canadian border in Idaho I was sound asleep. She did not bother to wake me and also decided to blow right through the HUGE STOP Sign that says STOP, WAIT HERE... Needless to say, it was a bit of a rude awakening when they yanked me out of the car and spent the next several hours tearing our shit apart. We were finally let through but I still can't fathom why she did not stop. She kept giving me shit all summer about why I brought 35 pairs of underwear with me (hey, I brought them all). In my defense, I would remind her that at least I DON'T RUN STOP SIGNS AT BORDER CROSSINGS!!!

I blew through the stop sign coming back to the US once. Hey, nobody was in line, so I just drove right up to the booth.

The guy gave me the usual ration. I just waited without reacting until he ran out of steam, after which he got this weird look on his face, almost as if he realized that he'd overdone it. It kind of broke up an otherwise boring drive.

I mean, what's he gonna do, not let me back in?

Out and out lying does come in handy when doing the Depot Creek thing. Too complicated to explain. "Squamish" is so much easier.

I've only driven the Alcan once. My favorite part was watching an old pickup burn to the ground (the gas tank was anticlimactic, but the 30' flames somehow made up for it). The owner just sauntered past and muttered "Fuck it. It's insured." like it happened every day.

It was my first introduction to Alaskan culture.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

denalidave.. i had a fun event like that as well coming back from the northern idaho border crossing back into the states. Its fairly empty place.. so about 100ft past the the check i sped up pretty good (maybe 40?)

The road had a bend in it and was wide and there were two large SUVs parked side by side like they were talking, half blocking the lane I was in, so I veered a bit into the center empty/divider/turn lane and went around them, my mistake as I went past I saw they were Idaho Crime Investigation or something like that. Didn't have obvious lights on the SUV or anything to give away at a distance. Needless to say the one zoomed up on me real quick (I had slowed down of course) and pulled me right over not 500ft past where I passed them.

They were not doing traffic/radar but he knew I was speeding (i think it was still 25 or so right near the border until you get about a half mile down the road) so I dont think he could actually write me a ticket for going X amount over or whatnot.

He asked where we're from and where we're going, we said back to Portland Oregon. He said, you going through Coeur D'alene? We said yeah (65 miles away or so) and he said, "we're going there too. You can drive in front and if you go a mile over the speed limit I'll give you a ticket."

Lets just say that first 30 miles was about the most difficult driving I've ever done. Didn't help that it was hilly and windy road so I couldn't just put cruise control on 5 below the limit.

At some point after about a half hour they decided they had more pressing matters and passed me.

talk about some stress...