[TR] Mt Larrabee - SW slope 4/3/2013

JasonG

Trip: Mt Larrabee - SW slope

Date: 4/3/2013

Trip Report:

2013Larrabeeski1173.jpg

A few years ago Scott and I skied in to the Winchester LO just after New Year's, maybe thinking of skiing Larrabee if conditions warranted. Scott broke a binding on the first day, meaning that we had a nice stay in the LO, but had to leave first thing the next day without skiing any of the excellent terrain around the LO.

Fast forward several winters and part of a spring, and Tim, Scott, and myself find ourselves back at the LO, ready for some spring corn and sun. Family Easter obligations in the San Juans meant that I squandered the best of the long weather window for our team, but we were able to squeeze this in at the very end. The weather was a bit in and out on the ski in and in the morning of the second day, but overall conditions were quite nice on south facing slopes- provided you didn't get too late of start. It took us about 5.5 hours or so to skin up to the LO from the highway on the first day, and I was beat. Luckily the clouds rolled in and I didn't have to choose between afternoon turns and rest. Instead, the hut reading material entertained us for the afternoon and evening, esp. some of the angst fueled entries in the hut log. Oh, to be young, earnest, and aimless again.

The next day dawned foggy with very little viz for the ski down and over to Low/high pass. We waited and waited for the sun to burn through and eventually it did. We were underway about 1000, not optimal. I think it took us about 2.5-3 hours to ski and boot up to the summit with mostly good travel conditions. It got a little warm/soft near the top, but Tim gamely wallowed a trench for us up the final steep bit. It is quite a view from the summit! An interesting perspective on a number of peaks you don't see up close often, especially Slesse and American Border Peak, with the impressive north side of Shuksan dominating the view south. And, the best thing about a ski ascent is that all the notorious choss of Larrabee was covered by snow, making for a pleasant experience.

The ski down wasn't anything special, but it was steep enough to get my attention given the variable conditions. Lower down we set off many wet slides, managing them so as not to get caught and carried. Pretty fun actually, and some of the slides entrained a good deal of snow. Just above High Pass the snow firmed up to nice corn for a long stretch, easily the best turns of the day. The 900' slog back up to the LO was predictably painful, but Tim and Scott did all the work for my sorry butt. A quick pack up and ski down to the road followed, traversing several large debris fields from earlier wet slides. That wasn't so fun.

I think it took us a couple of hours, or a bit more, to ski down and out to the car where mosquitoes, beer, chips, and smoked salmon awaited. We hadn't seen another party or evidence of recent traffic anywhere past the upper road, making for another memorable North Cascades ski. A couple friends, a couple summits, and lots more ideas to fuel trips for years into the future. I love our backyard.

Goat Mtn. and Shuksan in the growing gloom:

2013Larrabeeski1196.jpg

Skinning up just below the LO. Tomyhoi in the clouds behind:

2013Larrabeeski1183.jpg

2013Larrabeeski1191.jpg

Socked in and bored in the hut:

2013Larrabeeski1202.jpg

Larrabee. We skied the left face, wrapping around to the bowl in the lower right of the frame:

2013Larrabeeski1267.jpg

Scott marveling at ABP, emerging from the clouds:

2013Larrabeeski1210.jpg

2013Larrabeeski1218.jpg

Shuksan dominates the view south:

2013Larrabeeski1228.jpg

Topping out:

2013Larrabeeski1236.jpg

2013Larrabeeski1238.jpg

The view east to the Pickets, etc.:

2013Larrabeeski1245.jpg

The slog back up to the LO sucked the life from me, Tim and Scott pulling away:

2013Larrabeeski1259.jpg

The NW Couloir right in the middle, maybe some day:

2013Larrabeeski1263.jpg

Gear Notes:

Whatever you need to feel comfortable on 40-45 degree icy snow and rock bands. Ski crampons and helmets useful.

Approach Notes:

Twin Lakes Rd. Park at the WSDOT maintenance shed if there is room, if not park at the Hannegan road snow park. Slog upwards for ~4500'

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason- you would be completely fine on Larrabee. It is somewhat steep, but not extremely so. I did put my SLR away for the descent (and forgot my little camera, thus no descent pics) to make sure that I was prepared and carried my ice axe, but it turned out to have softened enough to be pretty fun and not very stressful. Since I am on a split, this kind of stuff (45 degree firm/chunky snow) is about at the limits of what I find fun for going down. Most compentent skiers, with twice the effective edge as a split, wouldn't think twice about it. It is a great trip, and I certainly would recommend it for folks, esp. if you stare at it year after year from the Baker backcountry!

There are some truly steep lines off Larrabee though that Dan, the Hummels, etc. ski. Those are impressive and out of my league! Just dropping off the summit to the east to access them looks scary.

And yes, we should get out in the hills again!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to adding captions.....

Yeah, we thought that the SE face did look a little leaner as well. There appeared to be a couple of old crown lines and a lot of debris below the face. Maybe an avi cycle stripped a bunch off?